open/close all folders
- go i know not whither, bring back i know not what by stilitana
- Recommended by: Ashley Red 21
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: AM builds a fantasy psychodrama for his hapless captives, using their own beloved stories against them to create trials in the hopes of getting some new data. In which Ellen ponders the significance of stories and tries to instill a little team camaraderie, Ted is in denial, and Gorrister gets a sword. Benny saves the day because everyone else is too busy undergoing character growth, or something
- Pairing(s): Ellen x Ted (but it's more implied)
- Tags: Angst, Body Horror, and "internal monologue as a coping mechanism"
- Comments: Where does this troper begin. First of all, stilitana is a master at replicating Harlan Ellison's voice, while still retaining their personal writing style. Their descriptions are gory, haunting, and visceral. Second, the characterizations of AM and the four humans (Nimdok gets killed up in their story, oops), is just perfect. Stilitana mashes up canon from both the short story and video game, and it's flawless. Plus, there are so many literary allusions and references that are just so perfectly placed and related to the characters. The story carries on the short story's themes of hopelessness, suffering, and what it means to be human. All in all, it is a wonderful spiritual continuation of the original short story, and it's worth reading, I can't recommend it enough.