When Jim took his second chance at life without the amulet he did not expect the world to crumble. It was his fault that Gunmar escaped with his armies and he vows to make things right. Follows the episode Unbecoming in an alternative world where Merlin does not change time back. Can Jim still show the world he is the Trollhunter, amulet or not?
The fanfic can be found on Fanfiction.net.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: What if Jim is still stuck in the alternate timeline in "Unbecoming"?
- The Cavalry: Just as Jim was ready to die fighting Gunmar, Aaarrrgghh!!! and Blinky show up to rescue him, now believing Jim's story after everything he warned about had happened.
- Death by Adaptation: In Chapter 3, Jim and Strickler come across Steve's mangled corpse. Can also be considered more of a Doomed by Canon since Steve in the Unbecoming episode was last seen carried off by a gumm-gumm stalkling presumably to be eaten.
- Word of God confirms that Toby is dead too.
- Decapitated Army: Because Gunmar's army are either too afraid to resist Gunmar's reign or are directly controlled by him using magic, Jim and Strickler make the assumption that if they take out Gunmar, his invasion force will crumble with him.
- Evil vs. Evil: Jim gets the idea to defeat Gunmar by using the inferna copula to pit Anor Rot against him.
- Fetch Quest: First order of business: find the remains of the Amulet of Daylight and the inferna copula.
- Humans Are Survivors: With Gunmar's invasion, several humans had the idea to evacuate to Arcadia's old fallout shelters, including Barbara and Coach Lawrence.
- I Never Told You My Name: Gunmar's reaction to Jim confronting him.
- Loophole Abuse: When Jim explains everything to Angor Rot, the assassin points out that Jim technically has the soul of a Trollhunter even if he is not the Trollhunter anymore, thus he plans on killing him as soon as he is free of his control and taking his soul to appease his hunger.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: While he hungers for Jims soul and is driven to kill the trollhunter, Angor wants Gunmar dead just as much as they do, so he agrees to help them.
- You Called Me "X"; It Must Be Serious: Inverted. Jim puts on a pained smile when Blinky addresses him as "Jim" and not "Master Jim" like before.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: The final stage of Gunmar's invasion will involve imprisoning all of his changeling followers and sacrificing them to Morgana in a spell that will blot out the sun forever.