Three years prior to the Great Freeze, King Gaspar and Queen Malin of Arendelle were presumed lost at sea by their kingdom. In reality, the two were rescued by adventurers who happened to be nearby. The accident caused the king and queen to lose their memories. They spent three years living peaceful, civilian lives on a nearby island until one day their memories are jogged.
Gaspar and Malin return to Arendelle, and most importantly their daughters, but much has changed in their absence. Elsa and Anna's relationship has changed for the better, but their thoughts on their parents have had the opposite occurrence.
The Royal Reunion is a 31-chapter Frozen fanfic by robert3A-SN. It tells a take on Anna and Elsa's parents having survived their voyage, the duo being reunited with their children, and how everything changes between the family after the events of Frozen.
The Royal Reunion provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: Agnarr and Iduna are named "Gaspar" and "Malin" because the story predates their names being canonized.
- Anachronism Stew:
- Photographs, and colour ones at that, exist and are commonplace despite Frozen taking place in the 1840s. However, Frozen II does reveal that (monochrome) photos already exist in Arendelle.
- Malin uses eye contacts in her disguise. The first eye contacts were released in 1887, the first plastic ones in 1948.
- Broken Pedestal: In the first chapter, Anna and Elsa come to realize their parents, despite being well-intended, didn't make the best decisions for them. There's a large amount of resentment for Gaspar and Malin's way of dealing with Elsa's powers.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Anna calls her parents out after being reunited with them. She promptly regrets it being her first words to them, though she doesn't regret the words themselves.
- Identity Amnesia: The accident caused King Gaspar and Queen Malin to become amnesiacs for three years. They didn't even remember they were married. They began working at a restaurant together. Gaspar regained his memories when he saw a colour picture of Elsa and remembered his daughter's eyes. Malin regains hers a few moments later when Gaspar hums a tune she knows.
- Spared by the Adaptation: The fic revolves around Elsa and Anna's parents having survived the storm. Later subverted with Gaspar, who does end up dying.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Even in disguise, Kristoff is able to tell that Malin and Gaspar are Elsa and Anna's parents just by staring at them.