While fighting Shego, Kim notices something off about herself. Or more specifically, her feelings towards Shego. But, Kim's into guys, right? Or at least she was so certain, until she met the new girl, Erica.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: In the film Kim moves on from Eric quickly, but Erica weighs on Kim in this fic. Shego's actions are much more serious due to how Erica factors into Kim's Coming-Out Story. The twist is much more traumatizing than in canon.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Kim is homosexual in this fanfic. Shego is bisexual.
- Adaptational Villainy: In So The Drama, Shego actually has very little to do with Drakken's plan. Kim attacking Shego at the end is misguided as Shego was just following orders, although Shego did pushed Kim's buttons. So The Trauma changes it so that Shego decided to hit Kim where it hurts by using her sexuality against her.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Shego notices Kim's attractions towards girls and uses it against her by changing Eric into "Erica".
- Bittersweet Ending: Kim is traumatized after what happened with Erica, but at least she still has her friend Ron for comfort.
- Closet Key: Fighting Shego in the nightclub is the thing that makes Kim double-think her sexuality. Erica makes everything even more clear.
- Dark Fic: Being part-Coming-Out Story, the fic comes off as more dramatic than the original film. Erica acting as a Closet Key to Kim makes the betrayal all the worse.
- Forced Out of the Closet: Kim is coerced by her girlfriend Erica into coming out, even though she wasn't ready yet.
- Gaydar: Shego notices Kim's attraction to her during their fight at The Bermuda Triangle and gets the hint that Kim's not straight, even before Kim herself knew. This leads her to change Drakken's plans so that Eric is a girl, not a boy.
- Gayngst: What the plot of the story is about.
- Incompatible Orientation: The crux of the story is Kim realizing that she isn't straight after all, or even bisexual for that matter. She's gay. Ron's feelings for her are unrequited.
- Mistaken for Romance: Kim and Ron still go to prom together, which causes their peers to think they've had a Relationship Upgrade, however it's a platonic gesture.
- Transparent Closet: Kim's in one. Ron feels tension between her and Erica, but Kim insists that her close relationship with Eric is simply platonic. A platonic relationship in which they feed each other pizza, but a platonic relationship nevertheless. Erica doesn't buy it either as she thinks she and Kim are dating.