Concerned when Hermione sleeps late, Harry decides to check on her and climbs the Gryffindor Girls' Stairs. This begins a journey of self-exploration and transition for Harry as she blossoms into her true self.
Magical Metamorphosis (FFN, AO3) is a Harry Potter fanfic by Eon the Dragon Mage, in which Harry is a trans girl, Holly. It starts partway through Prisoner of Azkaban and branches off from there.
This fic contains examples of:
- Adaptational Sexuality:
- Holly is shown to have an interest in boys as well as girls.
- Ginny is shown to be just as interested in Holly as she ever was in Harry.
- Adults Are Useless: Averted in the extreme.
- Professor McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey manage to guide Holly through her transition, even though the resources to achieve that do not yet exist in the Magical world.
- Severus Snape actually obliges Holly, Ron and Hermione when they insist that Scabbers is Peter Pettigrew and that Sirius is innocent. Also when he learns about the extent of the abuse Holly is suffering with the Dursleys, he immediately reports it to Dumbledore.
- Blunt "Yes": One of Dudley's bully friends tries to taunt Holly with "what are you, a girl?" This falls flat when she simply responds "Yeah, I am."
- Death Equals Redemption: After Pettigrew is killed by Voldemort for letting Cedric escape, his Priori Incantatem shade warns Holly about Barty Crouch Jr being disguised as Moody and tells her he's sorry for everything.
- Fiery Redhead: Holly after she dyes her hair and becomes a lot more openly confident and aggressive about asserting her gender.
- Floral Theme Naming: Holly picks that name in keeping with the Evans family tradition.
- For Want of a Nail: The simple fact of Holly coming out as trans has caused such changes as the trio getting on Rita Skeeter's good side and Cedric getting away from Voldemort alive.
- Heteronormative Crusader: The Dursleys brutally repressed any attempt by Holly to express her true gender in her childhood, and blatantly call her unnatural and disgusting when she starts transitioning. Fortunately, Holly's friends are there to prevent escalation into violence.
- LGBT Awakening: Hermione elicits this in Holly by demonstrating the use of female pronouns for her. While technically she always knew she was transgender, this proved to be the tipping point to commit to a transition.
- Meaningful Rename: As expected of a transgender story, the Potter child eventually changes her name to Holly.
- Race Lift: It's offhandedly mentioned that Holly is half-Indian.
- Supernaturally Validated Trans Person: The story kicks off when Holly manages to get through the no-boys-allowed ward on the Gryffindor dormitory, much to the confusion of Ron and Hermione.
- Trans Tribulations: Not only Holly is still forced to live with the aggressively heteronormative Dursleys, some people in the Wizarding World refuse to accept the Boy-Who-Lived is actually a girl.