The Dusk Series is a serie of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfics by Alpha The Griffin 17, starring Dusk Noir, a unicorn with a special kind of magic, the ability to make shapes out of different colors.
The story mostly follows canon, with some chapters being completely original.
Book three is currently in progress, and can be found here.
This fanfic series contains the following tropes:
- A Dayinthe Limelight: Similar to the source material, many scenes and chapters throughout the Dusk Series focus on characters other than the main character (i.e. Dusk), and often tells the story from their POV.
- Author Avatar: Dusk, obviously, he is based on multiple personality aspects of Alpha The Griffin 17 by the author's admission.
- Badass Bookworm: Dusk Noir is an avid reader who, though pacifistic by nature, when provoked can be a nightmare to fight (possible pun not intended).
- Big Brother Instinct: Most obviously, this is displayed by Shining Armor when he is first introduced to Dusk by Twilight, as well as multiple times further down the road, albeit to MUCH lesser extents. Dusk also displays this himself for a short amount of time, early on when Ray first seems to be expressing interest in Fluttershy.
- Big Damn Heroes: Constantly.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: During book 3, the main 6 and Dusk are Discorded.
- Brutal Honesty: Used at sparing intervals throughout the series, usually to really drive in the truth to someone who's more-or-less in denial or needs help realizing something without sugarcoating. Also seems to be a personality trait of Ray Strike, who rarely sugarcoats ANYTHING he says.
- Catapult Nightmare: Happens once during one of Dusk's nightmares. Very amusing.
- Character Development: In addition to all of the canon-character development that comes with making a fanfic based off of a running TV show? Dusk starts out as a bookworm with absolutely zero self-confidence (seriously, it's ridiculous) and a pacifistic outlook, and later becomes...still a bookworm...with a pacifistic outlook...though he recognizes that some issues simply have to be resolved through conflict, however much we all might wish otherwise. He also now has some semblance of self-esteem after two years of being around friends (and about a year of being repeatedly beaten over the head with a pipe or some other such blunt object whenever he says something negative about himself).
- Chekhov's Gun: Aside from the normal examples in the canon MLP universe? ...still many examples. Most notably, Dusk randomly coming across and collecting several strange yet seemingly pointless stones, that later wind up becoming the pieces of the Seventh Element of Harmony, Unity.
- Children Are Innocent: Pretty much every time the CMC make their innocent faces toward anypony who isn't one of their siblings.
- Dance Party Ending: The end of Book 5...though it's kinda cut short by the cryptic gloomy foreshadowing that comes soon afterwards.
- Darkerand Edgier: Basically Book 5 and onwards. Especially notable at the point where a certain Wrath Demon gets loose and kills a certain Changeling Queen, and very nearly kills a certain...entire rest of the protagonist cast.
- Enemy Within: Dusk Noir and Blackhole Doom. Also, Ray and Wrath.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Dusk Noir transforms into Blackhole Doom.