Capture Creatures started life as a web project by Becky Dreistadt and Frank Gibson. It's about as much of an homage to Pokémon as you'd think it'd be, complete with evolved forms. But then, 143 creatures and one Kickstarter funded art book later, KaBOOM! Comics announced an ongoing comic book series revolving around these critters.
But instead of collecting creatures for the sake of taking on gym leaders and being the best at exotic animal fights, this is focused more on where these things even come from.
The comic book series revolves around two teenaged best friends named Tamzen and Jory. Tamzen is about to move to the city with her mom, but there might be a slight delay as they find their world is filled with over a hundred critters known as Capture Creatures. It's all fun and games, right? Nope! As it turns out, not all of those Creatures are super-friendly. And come to think of it, where do they even come from anyway? That's what Tamzen and Jory want to find out. And while they're at it, they better find out how to stop the ones who are trying to harm them.
Capture Creatures contains examples of these tropes:
- Aerith and Bob: The protagonists' names are Tamzen and Jory.
- Alliterative Title: Well, it IS called Capture Creatures.
- Ambiguously Brown: Tamzen.
- Animesque: More or less. Doesn't stop it from being cute though.
- Mon: The Capture Creatures themselves.
- Shout-Out: There are a total of 151 Capture Creatures. Pokémon started with 151 creatures itself.