Hope Andrea Mikaelson
The daughter of the Original Hybrid Klaus Mikaelson, and werewolf Hayley Marshall, Hope is descended from some of the most powerful witch, vampire and werewolf bloodlines, known at the Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted as the Tribrid.
- Action Girl: Hope is always involved with the action whether it's going head to head with supernatural villains or monsters threatening the school or coming to the aid of lost, new students for the school.
- The Aloner: After Klaus and Hayley's deaths, she has become a recluse at the Salvatore School, not making any effort to befriend others or connect with her peers. Hope contributes this to the fact that people close to her end up getting hurt. Over Season 1, she starts to grow out of this befriending Landon, Josie and Rafael.
- Animorphism: Unlike most werewolves, she has a wolf form that she can shift into whenever she chooses, without being tied to the full moon, due to being part of the Crescent werewolf pack.
- Berserk Button: Never deceiver her and break her trust, she will come after you with a vengeance. Landon found this out hard after he faked being compelled by MG to forget what he'd seen at the school and fled from them just after she opened up to him about her disastrous past.
- Most likely as a result as her first love interest being a vampire, Roman, who helped abduct her and Hayley which lead to her mom's death.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: During The Originals season 5, when she takes impulsive actions trying to reunite with her father who is forced to keep his distance from her to prevent the Hollow's spirit from ever coming after her again. Not so much anymore.
- Daddy's Girl: Formerly. Her father adored her and she loved him dearly, despite the awful things he's done, and is shown to still be mourning him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was possessed by the sinister Dark spirit known as the Hollow when she was a little girl (see Doom Magnet for further details). And that's before both of her parents, Klaus and Hayley, having given their lives to save hers, to her massive grief and (in the case of Hayley) guilt.
- Deadpan Snarker: Hope is liberal with her sarcasm and witty remarks in general.
- Doom Magnet: Having had multiple attempts on her life and having been attemtedly sacrificed by radical, over-zealous New Orleans witches even when her mother was still carrying her, targeted by her paternal grandmother Esther and her power sought after by her great aunt Dahlia, having been possessed by the Dark spirit, the Hollow when she was seven. Hope even considers herself a cosmic mistake aware of the circumstances concerning her existence. The repetitive losses and grief she's experienced, as well as her Mikaelson family's history are supposedly why she keeps people at arm's length.
- Emo Teen: Hope is known for harboring feelings of contempt so intense after she feels betrayed she contemplates killing someone (i.e. Landon) and having emotional breakdowns given her lot in life, including her Mikaelson family's dysfunctional, tragic and violent past. She compares herself to Lizzie over an argument.Hope: "With a father and a grandfather like mine, I'm probably not immune to those issues myself."
- Fiery Redhead: Has the red-hair and a fiery personality being headstrong and independent, fiercely protective and can become very Hot-Blooded when she''s in a mood
- Healing Factor: As the daughter of a vampire-werewolf hybrid, Hope has vampire blood produced and running through her body, allowing her to heal herself when she's injured.
- The Hero
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the Season 1 finale, Hope allows herself to be absorbed by Malivore (erasing her from the world's collective memory), to stop it from fully regaining its humanoid form.
- Hot Witch: Hope is a physically attractive young woman and a powerful, skilled witch.
- Hybrid Power: Specifically, she is the first and only Tri-brid, a hybrid of all three primarily known supernatural species (vampire, werewolf, and witch).
- Ice Queen
- Love Interest: Hope is this for Landon Kirby. They enter a relationship in episode 8.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: 53 and badass.
- Power Incontinence: As a first born witch of her generation of the Mikaelson family line, Hope possesses immense magical power as a witch, like her Aunt Freya and her great-aunt Dahlia.
- The Power of Blood: Like her father Klaus', Hope's blood can be used to turn a werewolf into a vampire-werewolf hybrid or cure a vampire from a werewolf's bite.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: Apparently. After Hope, Landon, and Alaric find Landon's biological mother, Seylah whom allows herself to be erased from the world's memory by diving into the dimension Malivore in order to protect Landon, it is later revealed that Hope somehow retained her memories of Landon's mother even after everyone else's memories of her were erased.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In Season 1 episode, "Let's Just Finish the Dance" during the Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
- She Who Fights Monsters
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- When She Smiles: Hope rarely lets her guard down, but when she does her smile is genuinely a sight to see.
- Wonder Child: Hope was fathered by the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, Klaus Mikaelson, despite his undead nature. As the first and only hybrid of vampire-werewolf-witch, Hope's existence is a loophole and a pure miracle.
A charming, intelligent but bullied youth having grown up in the foster system, Landon has a mysterious past, even to himself and is an old acquaintance of Hope.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He and Rafael were in the foster system together, have been through thick and thin, always having each others' backs. They consider each other brothers.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Crafted by his father, Malivore, from the genetic material he has been absorbing for years and born to a human mother, Landon's supernatural status is somewhat currently an enigma. Half-human, at least partially phoenix (whether his phoenix part comes from a phoenix his father has once absorbed or if it's a result of an amalgam of several other species remains to be seen) and possibly also partially golem as he has supposedly inherited his father's powers.
- The Immune: He is revealed to be unaffected by vampire compulsion and mind-controlling slugs.
- Love Interest: Landon is a romantic interest for Hope. They start a relationship in episode 8.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Learns that Agent Ryan Clarke is his half-brother.
- Mystical Pregnancy: Landon is a result of one as his mother was mystically impregnated by Malivore during her time in Malivore.
- The Phoenix: After Landon dies, his body spontaneously catches fire and he is subsequently resurrected from the resulting ashes, leading Alaric to conclude (only partially correctly) that his supernatural species is a phoenix.
- Wonder Child: Born to his father in his quest for a perfect child, Landon is what his countless half-siblings before him failed to be; flawless, capable of continuing the bloodline, immortal and wielder of his father's powers.
Josette "Josie" Saltzman
- Action Girl
- Bi the Way: Actually she's pansexual as stated by Word of God.
- Brainy Brunette
- The Chick
- Extreme Doormat: Towards Lizzie.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: She has this going on with Lizzie. She's the "Smart Sister" of the two.
- Hot Witch
- Locked Out of the Loop: She and Lizzie are currently kept in the dark by their father that as twins they are destined to undergo the Gemini Coven's Merge ceremony when they turn 22 where one twin eventually kills the other.
- She and Lizzie both finally learn of the Merge during the season 1 penultimate episode "I'll Tell You a Story".
- Missing Mom
- Opposites Attract
- Nice Girl
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Between the twin sisters, Josie is the Blue Oni to Lizzie's Red.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Saltzman
- Always Someone Better: Lizzie feels this way about Hope, because of how much attention Alaric gives Hope and relies on her, adding to her animosity towards Hope.
- Ambiguous Disorder: She acts like such a Attention Whore and Bratty Teenage Daughter and when she doesn't get her way, she resorts to throwing extremely high tempered tantrums where she breaks and throws objects with her magic. Its confirmed by Word of God that Lizzie is bipolar.
- Attention Whore:
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Break the Haughty
- Broken Bird: When a genie shows up as the latest monster, she says that she specifically targeted Lizzie to be her "master" because she's the most broken person at the school, and thus the easiest one for the genie to manipulate into handing over the MacGuffin that the monsters are after.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Drama Queen
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: With Josie. She's the "Beautiful Sister" of the two.
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Hidden Depths
- Hot Witch
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- It's All About Me
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Locked Out of the Loop: She and Josie are kept in the dark by Alaric and Caroline that on their 22nd birthday they must undergo the Gemini Coven twin Merge where one twin will kill the other.
- In one of the altered realities created by the genie, Lizzie does find out about the Merge from that timeline's alternate version of Alaric. However, the magical loophole that Lizzie ultimately uses to undo the genie's wishes involves a Reset Button that erases her memory of the altered timelines, including her learning of the Merge.
- Missing Mom: Her biological mother Josette Laughlin is deceased, and Caroline her birth mother is often away during Season 1 on "recruitment trips".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Between the sisters, Lizzie is the Red Oni to Josie's Blue.
- Statuesque Stunner: Certainly beautiful and stands tall at 59 (175cm).
Milton "MG" Greasley
A genuine nice guy MG is one the school's friendliest students. Prior to being turned he suffered from ADHD and abandonment issues due to his troubled relationship with his father. A condition only amplified by his vampire state. Best friends with Josie and harboring a secret crash on Lizzie.
- Afro Asskicker: Does occasionally kick some ass.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Prior to becoming a vampire, MG was diagnosed with ADHD.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In "Death Keeps Knocking on my Door", it is revealed after his first taste of human blood that MG has the psychological markers for being a Ripper.
- Black and Nerdy: Loves comic books and other stereotypically nerdy things.
- The Corruptible: MG can be very impressionable, often becoming the mark for other less scrupulous students when Penelope flirts with and leads him on in her mission to spite Josie and Lizzie. He later becomes swayed by Kaleb to feed on humans which backfires horribly.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Has feelings for Lizzie and often tries to woo her, but she seems to ignore it.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire
- Functional Addict
- Lovable Jock
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Good-natured, fun-loving and conscientious, MG is the Blue to Kaleb's Red.
- Vegetarian Vampire
Childhood friend to Landon who grew up with him in the foster system. Rafael acts like an older brother to Landon. Rafael was on his way to an athletic scholarship when during an argument with his girlfriend he crashed their car and triggered his werewolf curse when she died. Confident and charismatic he has clashed with Hope in regards to Landon.
- Big Brother Instinct: Rafael considers Landon his brother, is extremely loyal to and protective of Landon and will do anything to keep him safe. Even challenge the local Alpha of the school's pack of werewolves if it puts him in a position to let Landon stay at the school.
- Black Best Friend: He's this to Landon. Later to Hope.
- Chick Magnet: He catches the eye of both Josie and Lizzie when he first appears at the school. It's hinted Hope harbors an attraction to him also.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Like Landon, Rafael had an abusive upbringing in the foster system. One of his foster dads used to take out his belt and use it on him.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's part of the standard werewolf package.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Landon.
- It's All My Fault
- Ship Tease: Him and Hope. It comes out he does have feelings for her, which he lets know but he doesn't act on them because of his loyalty to Landon who is Hope's boyfriend.
- Super Reflexes:
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: When he's transforming into his wolf form.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- True Companions
- Undying Loyalty: To Landon. He fights to keep Landon in the school, protects him with his life, and does not act on his feelings for Hope because he swears he would never betray Landon like that.
- You Are in Command Now
Alaric "Ric" Saltzman
- Jerkass: Kaleb is arrogant, boisterous and considers his human peers inferior to him, and known for feeding on humans, a practise forbidden at the school.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Kaleb eventually confronts Alaric about not allowing the school's vampires to drink human blood and not teaching the witches to use offensive spells, stating that they need those things in order to be at full strength for fighting off the increasingly stronger monsters that periodically attack the school. Alaric reluctantly admits that he's right.
- Lack of Empathy: He starts off as this shamelessly feeding off of humans, talking all confident and tough all about how superior vampires are to humans. He gets better.
- My God, What Have I Done?: He reacts like this when his pushing of MG to drink human blood reveals that MG has the potential markings of a Ripper.
- Poisonous Friend: Kaleb lures MG to embrace his philosophy of vampirism and feed directly from humans. It backfires when MG cannot stop feeding and almost kills someone, and Dorian explains that MG has the potential to be a Ripper vampire.