Hope Andrea Mikaelson
The daughter of the Original Hybrid Klaus Mikaelson, and werewolf Hayley Marshall, Hope is descended from some of the most powerful witch, vampire and werewolf bloodlines, known at the Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted as the Tribrid.
- Action Girl: Hope is always involved with the action whether it's going head to head with supernatural villains or monsters threatening the school or coming to the aid of lost, new students for the school.
- The Aloner: After Klaus and Hayley's deaths, she has become a recluse at the Salvatore School, not making any effort to befriend others or connect with her peers. Hope contributes this to the fact that people close to her end up getting hurt. Over Season 1, she starts to grow out of this befriending Landon, Josie and Rafael.
- Animorphism: Unlike most werewolves, she has a wolf form that she can shift into whenever she chooses, without being tied to the full moon, due to being part of the Crescent werewolf pack.
- Berserk Button:
- Never deceive her and break her trust, she will come after you with a vengeance. Landon found this out hard after he faked being compelled by MG to forget what he'd seen at the school and fled from them just after she opened up to him about her disastrous past.
- Most likely as a result as her first love interest being a vampire, Roman, who helped abduct her and Hayley which lead to her mom's death.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: During The Originals season 5, when she takes impulsive actions trying to reunite with her father who is forced to keep his distance from her to prevent the Hollow's spirit from ever coming after her again. Not so much anymore.
- Daddy's Girl: Formerly. Her father adored her and she loved him dearly, despite the awful things he's done, and is shown to still be mourning him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was possessed by the sinister Dark spirit known as the Hollow when she was a little girl (see Doom Magnet for further details). And that's before both of her parents, Klaus and Hayley, having given their lives to save hers, to her massive grief and (in the case of Hayley) guilt.
- Deadpan Snarker: Hope is liberal with her sarcasm and witty remarks in general.
- Doom Magnet: Having had multiple attempts on her life and having been attemtedly sacrificed by radical, over-zealous New Orleans witches even when her mother was still carrying her, targeted by her paternal grandmother Esther and her power sought after by her great aunt Dahlia, having been possessed by the Dark spirit, the Hollow when she was seven. Hope even considers herself a cosmic mistake aware of the circumstances concerning her existence. The repetitive losses and grief she's experienced, as well as her Mikaelson family's history are supposedly why she keeps people at arm's length.
- Emo Teen: Hope is known for harboring feelings of contempt so intense after she feels betrayed she contemplates killing someone (i.e. Landon) and having emotional breakdowns given her lot in life, including her Mikaelson family's dysfunctional, tragic and violent past. She compares herself to Lizzie over it, acknowledging probably in the first time ever in any of the series, that this might be a matter of mental health.Hope: "With a father and a grandfather like mine, I'm probably not immune to those issues myself."
- Fiery Redhead: Has the red/auburn-hair and a fiery personality being headstrong and independent, fiercely protective and can become very Hot-Blooded when she''s in a mood
- Healing Factor: As the daughter of a vampire-werewolf hybrid, Hope has vampire blood produced and running through her body, allowing her to heal herself when she's injured.
- The Hero:
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the Season 1 finale, Hope allows herself to be absorbed by Malivore (erasing her from the world's collective memory), to stop it from fully regaining its humanoid form.
- Hot Witch: Hope is a physically attractive young woman and a powerful, skilled witch.
- Hybrid Power: Specifically, she is the first and only Tri-brid, a hybrid of all three primarily known supernatural species (vampire, werewolf, and witch).
- Ice Queen
- Love Interest: Hope is this for Landon Kirby. They enter a relationship in episode 8.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: 53 and badass. Can easily handle creatures much bigger than her.
- Power Incontinence: As a first born witch of her generation of the Mikaelson family line, Hope possesses immense magical power as a witch, like her Aunt Freya and her great-aunt Dahlia.
- The Power of Blood: Like her father Klaus', Hope's blood can be used to turn a werewolf into a vampire-werewolf hybrid or cure a vampire from a werewolf's bite.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: Apparently. After Hope, Landon, and Alaric find Landon's biological mother, Seylah whom allows herself to be erased from the world's memory by diving into the dimension Malivore in order to protect Landon, it is later revealed that Hope somehow retained her memories of Landon's mother even after everyone else's memories of her were erased.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In Season 1 episode, "Let's Just Finish the Dance" during the Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
- She Who Fights Monsters
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- When She Smiles: Hope rarely lets her guard down, but when she does her smile is genuinely a sight to see.
- Wonder Child: Hope was fathered by the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, Klaus Mikaelson, despite his undead nature. As the first and only hybrid of vampire-werewolf-witch, Hope's existence is a loophole and a pure miracle.
A charming, intelligent but bullied youth having grown up in the foster system, Landon has a mysterious past, even to himself and is an old acquaintance of Hope.
- Action Girlfriend: Hope, who kicks ass on the regular.
- Action Survivor
- Adorkable: Quite dorky, but has no trouble getting ladies. Something Lizzie constantly makes fun of.
- Consummate Liar: Landon developed a lying habit as a form of self-defense in abusive foster care. However, despite constantly mentioning his past, the character has ironically lied only a few times on screen without being mind-controlled. He later mentions how Hope has taught him the value of truth.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was a foster child, and his childhood wasn't always the happiest.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He and Rafael were in the foster system together, have been through thick and thin, always having each others' backs. They consider each other brothers.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Crafted by his father, Malivore, from the genetic material he has been absorbing for years and born to a human mother, Landon's supernatural status is somewhat currently an enigma. Partially human, at least partially phoenix (whether his phoenix part comes from a phoenix his father has once absorbed or if it's a result of an amalgam of several other species remains to be seen) and possibly something more.
- The Immune: He is revealed to be unaffected by vampire compulsion and mind-controlling slugs.
- Love Interest: Landon is a romantic interest for Hope. They start a relationship in episode 8.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Learns that Agent Ryan Clarke is his half-brother.
- Missing Mom
- Mysterious Past
- Nice Guy
- Geek: Landon is revealed to be a passionate fan of several sci-fi franchises like for example, Star Wars.
- Mystical Pregnancy: Landon was immaculately conceived when his mother, Seylah, was trapped in a hell-like dimension, Malivore. Malivore is later revealed to be actually Landon's father.
- The Phoenix: After Landon dies, his body spontaneously catches fire and he is subsequently resurrected from the resulting ashes, leading Alaric to conclude that his supernatural species is a phoenix. However, the later revelation of his bloodline brings his status as pure phoenix into question.
- Token Human: Originally thought to be this but later revealed to be supernatural.
- Wonder Child: Born to his father, Malivore, in his quest for a perfect heir to continue his legacy, Landon is the first success after countless failures.
- Mystery Magnet: Due to his connection to Malivore, Landon seems to be constantly in the center of mysteries.
Josette "Josie" Saltzman
- Action Girl
- Brainy Brunette
- The Chick
- Evil Me Scares Me:
- When Josie's use of black magic in Season 2 causes her subconscious to be split into good and evil sides, the evil side easily overpowers the good side and takes over control of their shared physical body largely because the good side is too terrified of the evil side to put up much of a fight.
- This changes abruptly after Hope gets inside Josie's subconscious and informs the good side of the evil side's (nearly successful) attempt to kill Lizzie in the previous episode. The good side quickly gets over her fear and absolutely wipes the floor with the evil side during their subsequent confrontation.
- Extreme Doormat: Towards Lizzie.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: She has this going on with Lizzie. She's "The Smart Sister" of the two.
- Green-Eyed Monster: practically a primary character trait
- Hollywood Nerd: Though she is not "The Beautiful Sister," an alternate reality shows that her apparent unattractiveness is more due to her meek demeanor than a lack of beauty. She could easily be the popular, pretty girl in school too.
- Hot Witch
- Locked Out of the Loop:
- She and Lizzie are currently kept in the dark by their father that as twins they are destined to undergo the Gemini Coven's Merge ceremony when they turn 22 where one twin eventually kills the other.
- She and Lizzie both finally learn of the Merge during the season 1 penultimate episode "I'll Tell You a Story".
- Missing Mom
- Nice Girl
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Saltzman
- Always Someone Better: Lizzie feels this way about Hope, because of how much attention Alaric gives Hope and relies on her, adding to her animosity towards Hope.
- Ambiguously Bi: Has only been explicitly attracted to men, however the fact Josie was worried about Lizzie going for Hope if she knew Josie liked her and that every time Josies liked someone Lizzie goes for them, implies she is attracted to more than one gender.
- Ambiguous Disorder: She acts like such a Attention Whore and Bratty Teenage Daughter and when she doesn't get her way, she resorts to throwing extremely high-tempered tantrums where she breaks and throws objects with her magic. It's confirmed by Word of God that Lizzie is bipolar.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Break the Haughty
- Broken Bird: When a genie shows up as the latest monster, she says that she specifically targeted Lizzie to be her "master" because she's the most broken person at the school, and thus the easiest one for the genie to manipulate into handing over the MacGuffin that the monsters are after.
- Contralto of Danger: She's a deep-voiced girl and a badass.
- Drama Queen
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: With Josie. She's "The Beautiful Sister" of the two.
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Hidden Depths
- Hot Witch
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- It's All About Me
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sometimes concealed with a Jerkass Façade. As Jo tells her, "you have such a big heart. It's okay to let other people see it."
- Locked Out of the Loop:
- She and Josie are kept in the dark by Alaric and Caroline that on their 22nd birthday they must undergo the Gemini Coven twin Merge where one twin will kill the other.
- In one of the altered realities created by the genie, Lizzie does find out about the Merge from that timeline's alternate version of Alaric. However, the magical loophole that Lizzie ultimately uses to undo the genie's wishes involves a Reset Button that erases her memory of the altered timelines, including her learning of the Merge.
- Missing Mom: Her biological mother Josette Laughlin is deceased, and Caroline her birth mother is often away during Season 1 on "recruitment trips".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Between the sisters, Lizzie is the Red Oni to Josie's Blue.
- Statuesque Stunner: Certainly beautiful and stands tall at 59 (175cm).
Milton "MG" Greasley
A genuine nice guy MG is one the school's friendliest students. Prior to being turned he suffered from ADHD and abandonment issues due to his troubled relationship with his father. A condition only amplified by his vampire state. Best friends with Josie and harboring a secret crash on Lizzie.
- Afro Asskicker: Does occasionally kick some ass.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Prior to becoming a vampire, MG was diagnosed with ADHD.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In "Death Keeps Knocking on my Door", it is revealed after his first taste of human blood that MG has the psychological markers for being a Ripper.
- Black and Nerdy: Loves comic books and other stereotypically nerdy things.
- The Corruptible: MG can be very impressionable, often becoming the mark for other less scrupulous students when Penelope flirts with and leads him on in her mission to spite Josie and Lizzie. He later becomes swayed by Kaleb to feed on humans which backfires horribly.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Has feelings for Lizzie and often tries to woo her, but she seems to ignore it.
- Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire
- Functional Addict
- Lovable Jock
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Good-natured, fun-loving and conscientious, MG is the Blue to Kaleb's Red.
- Vegetarian Vampire
Childhood friend to Landon who grew up with him in the foster system. Rafael acts like an older brother to Landon. Rafael was on his way to an athletic scholarship when during an argument with his girlfriend he crashed their car and triggered his werewolf curse when she died. Confident and charismatic he has clashed with Hope in regards to Landon.
- Big Brother Instinct: Rafael considers Landon his brother, is extremely loyal to and protective of Landon and will do anything to keep him safe. Even challenge the local Alpha of the school's pack of werewolves if it puts him in a position to let Landon stay at the school.
- Black Best Friend: He's this to Landon. Later to Hope.
- Chick Magnet: He catches the eye of both Josie and Lizzie when he first appears at the school. It's hinted Hope harbors an attraction to him also.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Like Landon, Rafael had an abusive upbringing in the foster system. One of his foster dads used to take out his belt and use it on him.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's part of the standard werewolf package.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Landon.
- It's All My Fault
- Ship Tease: He and Hope. It comes out he does have feelings for her, which he lets know but he doesn't act on them because of his loyalty to Landon who is Hope's boyfriend.
- Super Reflexes:
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: When he's transforming into his wolf form.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- True Companions
- Undying Loyalty: To Landon. He challenges and is willing to become an alpha, just to protect Landon. Not to mention that despite having feelings for Hope, he never acts on them because he knows Landon loves her.
- You Are in Command Now
Alaric "Ric" Saltzman
- Action Dad
- Badass Normal
- Badass Teacher
- Beard of Sorrow: Grows one in season 2 after being voted out of the headmaster position. He keeps the beard even after gaining a new purpose in life.
- Big Good: He tries to be this as the headmaster of the Salvatore School.
- Drowning My Sorrows
- The Lost Lenore
- Papa Wolf
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Parental Substitute: To Hope.
The sheriff of Mystic Falls in season 1. Gets elected mayor in season 2.
A witch and one of the teachers at the Salvatore School. It's eventually revealed that she's in a relationship with Dorian, but her kissing Alaric under the influence of a parasitic slug puts a damper on that.
- Big Brother Instinct: To MG.
- Fake Guest Star: He's in more episodes than some of the mains.
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Jerkass: Kaleb is arrogant, boisterous and considers his human peers inferior to him, and known for feeding on humans, a practise forbidden at the school.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Kaleb eventually confronts Alaric about not allowing the school's vampires to drink human blood and not teaching the witches to use offensive spells, stating that they need those things in order to be at full strength for fighting off the increasingly stronger monsters that periodically attack the school. Alaric reluctantly admits that he's right.
- Lack of Empathy: He starts off as this shamelessly feeding off of humans, talking all confident and tough all about how superior vampires are to humans. He gets better.
- My God, What Have I Done?: He reacts like this when his pushing of MG to drink human blood reveals that MG has the potential markings of a Ripper.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: When Kaleb's sister Kym and MG show signs of liking one another, Kaleb is quick to put a stop to that. Partly it's to keep his human sister from the supernatural world, and partly it's to protect MG from his sister.
- Poisonous Friend: Kaleb lures MG to embrace his philosophy of vampirism and feed directly from humans. It backfires when MG cannot stop feeding and almost kills someone, and Dorian explains that MG has the potential to be a Ripper vampire.
An agent of Triad Industries, although he seems to have an agenda of his own.
- Cain and Abel: Clarke is Cain to Landon's Abel. He is Landon's (much) older brother, who resents him for being seen as Malivore's favorite son. He wants to use Landon to destroy Malivore and doesn't mind his little brother being collateral damage.
- Golem: Clarke turns out to be one of Malivore's attempts at creating others like him. Clarke looks completely human but has some of Malivore's powers. However, Malivore considers Clarke to be a failure.
- Master of Disguise: It's revealed in season 2 that Headmaster Rupert Vardemus is actually Ryan Clarke in disguise.
- Men in Black: Clarke is initially introduced this way, working for the shadowy Triad Industries. In fact, he's actually responsible for the organization's creation, having founded a cult tasked with watching over Malivore's puddle form, which eventually became Triad Industries. However, his real goal is different from Triad's mission.