- The Vampire Diaries: A Darker Truth
- The Originals: The Awakening
- The Vampire Diaries comic series was published by DC Comics.
Tropes shared across the franchise:
- Anti-Hero: Damon is a self-proclaimed serial killer, who only cares about a few things, his brother, Elena, and his friends. He will do about anything to protect those things, up to and including backstabbing the people he loves. However, it is always in the service of fighting off a worse evil.
- Big Bad Wannabe: In the first season of Legacies, The Necromancer makes a big show of arriving, only to find out that no one remembers him.
- Black-and-Gray Morality: The heroes of the verse are all willing to do horrible things to save the day, particularly Damon, Klaus, and Hope, but the villains are played as almost evil enough to justify the extreme means.
- Love Triangle: Every series has at least one:
- The Vampire Diaries has Elena start off with Stefan, but quickly develop feelings for Stefan's brother Damon. Eventually, Elena ends up with Damon.
- The Originals' first season has both Klaus and Marcel interested in Cami, though this is quickly dropped as Marcel is still interested in Rebekah.
- Legacies had one between Hope, Landon, and Josie in the second season. Hope starts dating Landon in season 1, but Landon and Josie start dating when everyone forgets Hope exists. Following everyone regaining their memory of Hope, she and Landon get back together.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The books, shows, and comic books are populated by hundreds of recurring and minor characters which populate them.
- Overarching Villain: Klaus Mikaelson is one of the most recurring characters and antagonists in the verse. In The Vampire Diaries, he is the main antagonist of the second season, seeking to break the curse keeping him from accessing his werewolf side. In the third season he is The Heavy, seeking to build a hybrid army though he eventually teams up with the heroes to stop his mother, Esther. In the fourth season he is an Anti-Hero, though still not above manipulating everyone to get what he wants. In The Originals he is the Villain Protagonist, willing to do anything to protect his daughter. While dead by the time of Legacies, he continues to have a huge impact on the life of his daughter, Hope, even destroying the world in an alternate timeline where she wasn't born.