- Much of the background information for Pinball Magic, such as the background of Matra Magna and the Society of Masters, is only available in the operator's manual.
- Likewise for Doctor Who, which has a rather complex story that is only available through the flyers, manual, and promotional video.
- Most of the backstories for LittleWing's pinball games are presented only in the instruction manual or their web site. For instance, Mad Daedalus has a story about a Robo Ship between an ancient inventor and an alien AI, a power-mad tyrant king, and a Stable Time Loop, all in an 800-word introduction in the instruction manual.
- WHO dunnit has an overarching set of Plot Threads that connect the five suspects, most of which is only hinted at through the characters' various interrogation answers. A complete timeline for their personal histories is given in the operator manual.
- The backstory for Strange Science is presented in an eight-page promotional comic book from Bally.
- Similarly, the backstory for Fathom is given in a one-page comic on the front of the game's advertising flyer.
- Scott Danesi's website indicates that the woman on the backglass of Total Nuclear Annihilation is named Scarlett.
All There In The Manual / Pinball