Mario: "Gee, uh, this page is kinda dark."
Luigi: "Did you bring a light?"
Luigi: "Did you bring a light?"
- Awesome Music: The strange but awesome electronic music. Not to mention "Big Beat Mario", a fan-made Stupid Statement Dance Mix, and this remix of the main theme.
- Discredited Meme: Due to being one of the foundations of YouTube Poop source material and thus extremely overused, this game's memes have understandably fallen out of favor with the poop community. Most amateur poopers don't even bother trying to use them now.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Gay Luigi, in spite of the few lines he gets, is extremely popular in the YouTube Poop community, to the point where it overshadows that of Mama Luigi.
- Fanon: An odd example that crosses over with another CDI game and only exists in YTPS,but it is pretty much Youtube Poop Fanon to use Ludwig's Castle Hotel as the King's castle, (usually not even changing the sign that claims it is Ludwig's building).
- Fountain of Memes: It's weird how easily the entire dialogue of the game gets memorized by everyone to quote.
- Game-Breaker: The Fire Flower. Naturally, it kills almost every enemy in one hit. To put this in perspective, the enemy hit boxes are very precise, added to the fact that Wigglers take three jumps to kill. The Fire Flower on the other hand makes it almost easy to mow down enemies.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
Well maybe a Koopa will lend us his [light], if we...(raises fist) persuade him!
- The Gay Luigi Lady Mondegreen becomes especially funny when you consider he gets some serious Ho Yay with Prince Peasley in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.
- Super Mario 64 also has a similar Mondegreen to "Gay Luigi", with "Gay Bowser". Both lines are even said by Mario.
- Fast forward to Super Paper Mario. In Chapter 7, Mario is separated from Princess Peach and Bowser. Where is the princess taken? The "Overthere!"
- This line from Luigi, considering his modern characterization:
- Just Here for Godzilla / Watch It for the Meme: The gameplay itself is perfectly playable and average. The real draw of the game's infamy is its bizarre animated cutscenes. If it weren't for those, the game probably wouldn't be as notorious as it is.
- Lady Mondegreen: Thanks to the corresponding Mondegreen, Luigi in this game is nicknamed Gay Luigi.
- Memetic Mutation: The cutscenes of this game have been used almost religiously in a style of absurd video editing known as YouTube Poop, since pretty much every scene is chock full of meme fodder thanks to the bizarre animation, hokey script, silly voices, and downright weird electronic/funk music. The unofficial slogan for YouTube Poop is even made of two different lines from the game that use the exact same animation. "Where there's smoke, they pinch back".
- On Twitter, adding the beginning of the opening cutscene of Mario and Luigi walking into the Mushroom Kingdom to various scenes from animation has caught on. Tumblr and several other sites have escalated this further, using the first few seconds of the intro cutscene as a Bait-and-Switch. Even SiIvaGunner got in on the fun.
- Narm Charm: No one would care about these games if it weren't for the bad voice acting and goofy lines. "Ya know what they say: all toastas toast toast!"
- Nightmare Fuel: Bowser's Evil Laugh at the beginning is surprisingly effective, especially with the added echo effect.
- Signature Scene: Mario's Projectile Toast scene. While there are scenes like this one for coming across a helpful gimmick, this one stands out the most for emphasizing the game's nonsensical nature.
- So Bad, It's Good: Oh so much. While the gameplay is somewhat decent (though a little boring), the cutscenes are riddled with Narm and the animation looks like it was made in MS Paint.
- So Okay, It's Average: Aside from minor issues such as getting hit by enemies on a different floor from you, several people believe the gameplay is inoffensive. It's fairly playable, but lacks the depth and progression of most other Mario games.
- The Problem with Licensed Games: Considering that it's not made by Nintendo, and they pretty much don't want to associate themselves with this game, then yeah.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Watching videos of the gameplay, you wouldn't think it was that bad. If not for the CD-i's horrible controls, and if the game had a plot that didn't utterly fail as even an Excuse Plot by not giving any explanation for what exactly you're doing in the levels, (or at least just stuck to No Plot? No Problem!) you would end up with a much better game than Hotel Mario.
- Values Dissonance: This game was made before Paper Mario subverted the Always Chaotic Evil trope, and changed how players saw the races associated with the Koopa clan. Therefore, modern players will be surprised by the plumbers' racist tone towards Koopas, especially in the case of Luigi:
Looks are deceiving when Koopas are involved!