- Ear Worm: "Deepest! Bluest! My hat is like a shark's fin!"
- Ensemble Darkhorse: LL Cool J's character Preacher spends most of the movie alone, separated from the main cast, who never even seem to remember he's there. This makes one wonder if he was even originally intended to be in the movie, but eventually he turns out to be a lot more intelligent and probably more likable than the other characters. Apparently he was popular enough that the movie was rewritten to have him survive at the end.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Sorta. The special effects company involved with making the animatronic sharks would create the shark animatronics (some of them even look identical) in Shark Night nearly twelve years later.
- Retroactive Recognition: The team include The Punisher, Victoria Hand, Nick Fury, Dr. Selvig.
- The Scrappy: Susan. Test audiences hated her so much they were shouting "Die bitch!" during the screenings. The studio went back and reshot the ending just to kill her off.
- Signature Scene: Samuel L. Jackson getting munched by the shark.
- Special Effects Failure: Renny Harlin challenged audiences to notice when the mechanical sharks ended and the CGI ones began. Form a line, folks...
- Tear Jerker: Susan's story of her father's battle with Alzheimer's is pretty damn heartbreaking. For all the stupid and cruel things she does in this movie, it's understandable why she was willing to go so far to find a cure.
Susan: Tell me Mr. Franklin, have you ever known anyone with Alzheimer's?Franklin: Well, no.Susan: By the end all my father could do was ask why my mother wasn't at home, and each time I told him she was dead I had to watch him take that loss like a car wreck. 200,000 men and women develop Alzheimer's each year! What if you could end all that suffering with a single pill?