- A clearly reusable lighter - something you would purchase for a smoker as a gift for example.
- A focus of some sort on the lighter - either by "camera" or character(s).
- A disposal of the lighter - no character reacting to the lighter being "thrown away" (unless of course it gets Lampshaded).
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the Naruto anime, after Shikamaru managed to trap Hidan with lots of wires with explosive Paper Talismans attached (above a giant hole), he deals the final blow by throwing his dead mentor Asuma's zippo lighter (as a Revenge by Proxy), dealing nasty blow on Hidan's body and burying him. In the manga, he used a cigarette instead.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Weaponized by Colonel Roy Mustang. After Lust manages to wet his special ignition cloth gloves which he needs to use his fire alchemy, Roy uses alchemy to separate hydrogen from water. When the room where Lust is has filled with hydrogen, Roy takes Havoc's lighter and throws it in causing a huge gas explosion. The lighter is of course ruined, and since it was a gift from his ex-girlfriend, this even gets Lampshaded by Havoc afterwards.
- After Wolverine was attacked by a man with a flamethrower, his assailant gets his fuel tank pierced, leaving him in a puddle of fuel. Then the burned-but-regenerating Wolvie notes that even though his clothes were burned off, his Zippo still works...
- In the Swords Of Sorrow: Lady Zorro and Black Sparrow one-shot, Black Sparrow lights her lighter and tosses it into a pool of gasoline leaking from a wrecked car to cause an explosion to allow her Lady Zorro to escape from the demon Shard.
- In Detective Comics #44, Harvey Bullock tosses a Zippo in to the spilled fuel from a wrecked vehicle to create an explosion to allow Detective Yip to fake her death.
- In Black Magick #1, the man who tries to set fire to Rowan does so by tossing his Zippo into a pool of gasoline he spread on the floor.
- Die Hard 2. As the jet carrying the treacherous soldiers and General Esperanza takes off, John McClane gets onto the wing and opens a gas tank valve so the plane leaves a trail of aviation fuel. After he returns to the ground, he pulls out a lighter, ignites it and drops it on the gas trail. The flame runs up the trail to the gas tank and causes the gas to explode, destroying the jet.
- The Crow. The titular character tosses a reusable lighter after killing one of his targets for vengeance. The flames make a crow outline.
- In The Blues Brothers Jake uses the cars cigarette lighter to light one of his cigarettes then tosses the lighter out the window. He seems unimpressed by Elwood's car. Elwood then proves the car has value via speed and Jake returns with the line "Fix the cigarette lighter."
- Deadpool Uses a car lighter in a similar fashion... well he uses it incorrectly and it gets tossed out of a guys mouth after Deadpool shoves it in his mouth and tells him "I've never said this, but don't swallow."
- In KickAss it appears it will be played straight, but is averted at the last second due to the man holding the lighter getting shot. Then it is averted again when another person lights the fuel up but seems to hang on to the lighter. It is a bit hard to see however since the lights are out and the only source of light in the scene is gun fire! Seen here.
- LL Cool J tosses a Zippo at a gas leaking stove to blow up a super smart shark in Deep Blue Sea. "You ate my bird."
- After killing all its occupants the previous night, Rambo returns to a pirate skiff, dumps all of its spare fuel across the deck, and then chucks a beat-up old Zippo onboard to destroy the boat.
- In Showdown in Little Tokyo, Brandon Lee's character ends a fight that involves using the Miranda rights as Trash Talk by knocking his opponent into a vat, flicking on his lighter, saying "You have the right to be dead," and tossing the lighter in. It causes a violent explosion and sets off a chain reaction throughout the factory they're in.
- In Black Sheep (2007), the titular mutant sheep are ended via a toss of a Zippo and their own methane gas. It's an explosive combination.
- In Captain America: The Winter Soldier Nick Fury tosses a Zippo to light up the remains of some evidence of his existence alive.
- Ice Cube finishes off The Dragon in xXx: State of the Union this way, tossing a lit Zippo through the stream of leaking flammable gas from a ruptured hose of some sort (they were fighting in a kitchen). Bonus points for both a Pre-Mortem One-Liner and using the method of death they claimed took out Gibbons - a gas explosion.
Darius: Hillbilly! You need to lighten up! [tosses the lighter]
- Stig (Mark Wahlberg) tosses a Zippo lighter in a diner to start a fire for a distraction at the beginning of 2 Guns.
- One of the apes in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tosses a zippo (taken from a human) to incite bad relations between apes and man.
- One of the characters in Twilight Saga: Eclipse tosses a lighter on a dead vampire to burn her up completely.
- Used in Kung Fu Hustle by the leader of the Axe Gang to set a woman and her son on fire to punish the denizens of Pig Sty Alley. The lighter is caught midair by one of the kung fu masters living incognito there.
- Dominique Toretto tosses a zippo on a stack of cash he covered in gas in Fast Five in order to get a drug kingpin to movie his cash from other safe houses.
- Tossed in Kill Me Three Times to set up a death.
- In the movie Survivor (2015) a generic terrorist bad guy tosses a zippo on a soldier because he is not worth a ransom.
Live Action TV
- On Supernatural the brothers use salt, lighter fluid, and a disposable Zippo so often this show might just be the Trope Codifier. They do this to properly dispose of the creatures they kill so that they don't come back. In more recent seasons they seem to be using matches more often, but typically they do so by lighting the entire book on fire and lobbing it. Perhaps it's still cheaper than buying dozens of lighters, since we never see them fishing around in the remains for the lighters.
- In Season 2 of Burn Notice Fiona tosses a Zippo onto a bar covered in alcohol to burn everything in the episode Hot Spot.
- Season 3 finale, Michael tosses a zippo into a van to get rid of... nothing important. tho Simon thinks he got rid of some FBI survailence
- In season 4 episode 16 Dead or Alive, Mike tosses a lighter on a pre-set line of fuel to create a ring of fire.
- In another 16th episode of season 5, Jesse casually tosses a zippo into a car filled with lighter fluid to destroy dna evidence so a dirty banker can be "dead" and disapear
- In the second to last episode of the series Fiona tosses a Zippo lighter like it is a simple match to burn down Michael's mom's place.
- In the Smallville Season 3 episode, Slumber, the bad guy of the week tries to toss a reusable lighter to light a fire that would lead to a big explosion. Clark catches the lighter before it can light anything up.
- Also in Season 3 episode, Hereafter,the bad guy of the week tosses a Zippo to light up a big fire to burn himself as well as Lana and a random other girl from the school.
- The fifth season of True Blood: In the episode "Let's Boot and Rally," when Terry Bellefleur recalls his time in Iraq, there is a scene of him setting a pile of dead bodies on fire with a Zippo lighter.
- Father Brown: Used by the killer in "The Lair of the Libertines" to ignite a Vapor Trail that destroys a motorbike and nearly kills Lady Felecia and Mrs McCarthy.
- On The Walking Dead Carl drops one in a barn to light the walkers on fire as a distraction. I don't think anyone is going to go back for it.
- Arrow: In the episode Burned, a pyro attempts to light someone on fire by tossing a lit zippo but Arrow in typical hero fashion fires an arrow at mid flight. It is still gone and never recovered.
- In season 3 episode 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a zippo is left behind to blow up a building. Interesting note is it is not actually seen being dropped or tossed, but the camera focuses on it left on the floor to light the gas pool.
- Episode 10 of the first season of Jessica Jones A character tosses a zippo with an American Flag on it to get rid of evidence including a dead body that he caused.
- In the music video for Another Day by Modestep the character having a "Groundhog Day" Loop tosses a Zippo on a car about half way through the video.
- Similarly, midway the video for Crazy in Love by Beyoncé, Jay-Z appears and drops a lighter into a trail of lighter fluid setting a car on fire before starting his rap solo.
- In the music video for Madonna's "What It Feels Like For A Girl", Madonna's character dumps a lit cigarette lighter onto spilled gasoline to cause a gas station to explode before she drives off.
- In Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, after having used it constantly in Strong Badia the Free, one puzzle in Baddest of the Bands has Strong Bad toss his lighter onto an oil spill by an old car, removing it from his inventory permanently. The car remains on fire for the rest of the episode.