This 1933 Betty Boop short is a very, very loose adaptation of the original tale of Snow White, not to be confused with the Disney version. During wintertime, Betty visits her step-mother the queen, with the two guards Koko The Clown and Bimbo the Dog being instantly smitten by her. After the queen is told by her magic mirror that Betty is the fairest in the land, she orders her beheaded. However, Bimbo and Koko are too infatuated to comply with this order and fall down the hole that was intended for her-as Betty escapes and gets frozen in an ice block in the process, with the seven dwarfs carrying her away. The rest of the short is centered around Koko and Bimbo as they try to save her.This short is in the public domain and can be viewed here.On a side note, this short was something of a one man show-the only animator on this short was dedicated Fleischer employee Roland "Doc" Crandall, as a reward for his years of hard work at the studio. It took him only six months to complete, with very little help from assistant animators and inbetweeners.
Tropes Used In This Short:
- Composite Character: Koko and Bimbo take the roles of both the huntsmen who are forced to kill Snow White and Prince Charming (more or less)
- Creepy Jazz Music: When Snow White (Betty Boop) is killed by the witch, Calloway (as Koko the Clown) sings a haunting rendition of "Saint James Infirmary", while the witch transforms Koko into a weird ghost-like monster.
- Deranged Animation: One of the Fleischer's most bizarre works outside of "Swing You Sinners!" and "Minnie the Moocher."
- Disproportionate Retribution: OFF WITH HER HEAD! For being prettier than the queen.
- In-Name-Only: The short starts out pretty faithful to the Grimms fairy tale, but around the middle it drifts off so far, it's advised to consider this cartoon strictly as a Betty Boop short (even the poisoned apple is nowhere to be seen.)
- Public Domain Animation
- Random Events Plot: People tend to randomly turn into dragons and/or a frying pan roasting eggs.
- Rotoscoping: Used to animate Koko.