open/close all folders
- Happens in a recent Sprint Mobile ad.
Anime & Manga
- Being stuck on a ski lift turns into an opportunity for murder in Case Closed/Detective Conan.
- The fan webcomic A Dazzling Christmas on DeviantArt starts of with the three Dazzlings (from My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Rainbow Rocks) stuck on a ski lift at a winter station. Adagio and Sonata manages to reach a tower by clinging to the cable, but they leave behind Aria who's suffering from fear of heights.
Films — Live-Action
- Frozen (2010), about three snowboarders stuck on a lift. Also, there were wolves. Also also, for better or worse, it wasn't forgotten for once that you'd have to go to the bathroom eventually.
- Used in the French cult movie Les Bronzés font du ski (pictured): the character thinks the lift has just stopped and tries to pass the time by singing — by the time he decides to jump off, night has fallen. The scene is so well-known in France that when your ski lift stops, there's almost always someone around to hum the song.
- Happens in Out Cold, wherein Pig Pen, while sleeping on the job, dreams that he's a James Bond-style action hero, charged with rescuing the Solid Gold Dancers, who are trapped in a stalled gondola. Cut to reality, where Rick and Luke are actually stuck in a gondola as they wait for Pig Pen to wake up and let them out.
- Used in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode "The Ski Lift" to force Larry and an orthodox Jewish woman to be "alone" together after sundown; since this isn't allowed under Jewish law if they're not married, she tells Larry he has to jump off if he's truly Orthodox (which he's pretending to be). When he refuses, she does it instead.
- Happens in How I Met Your Mother to Barney and Robin while they were dating. They'd just started having a fight before the ski lift stopped, making their usual strategies for avoiding a fight (Barney leaves the room and/or Robin gets naked) useless.
- Invoked in an episode of Leverage, where the gang intentionally stops the lift while Parker is on it in order to distract the mark.
- In Good Luck Charlie, it happens to Teddy and Spencer.
- In the Absolutely Fabulous "The Last Shout, Part 1", this happens to Patsy.
- The Simpsons: Happens to Homer Simpson, of course. He tries to get off but ends up hanging upside down. ("Come on, gravity! You used to be cool!")
- Happens in a season 2 episode of Winx Club to the Winx and the Specialists. Since magic doesn't work where they are, they have to sew a glider made out of jackets to get out safely.
- Subverted/invoked in As Told by Ginger; it happens but there are other forces at work. Ginger's brother paid off the operator to stop it in order to break the world record for the longest time stuck on a ski lift.
- Happens to Scoutmaster Lumpus in the Camp Lazlo episode "Snow Beans".
- Archer: In the episode "Swiss Miss", Ray gets stuck on a ski lift when he's supposed to be protecting the daughter of a wealthy German dignitary.
- In Fish Hooks, this happens to Oscar in one episode, with various things keeping him from getitng out. He manages to get out of it in the big race, but something happens later that makes him get stuck on the chairlift again. At the end of the episode, he's still on the chairlift.