Pearlie is a park fairy with a giant-sized heart and a wardrobe to match. Appointed by Fairy HQ, Pearlie keeps Jubilee Park in sparkling order. She’s a type A personality full of nutty, over the top plans, parties and events for the park and its residents. She has assistance in Jasper, her right hand elf, although he prefers chilling out to real work. There’s also Opal, an outback fairy from Australia sent to learn the ropes of park management from Pearlie.
But all isn’t perfect in Jubilee Park. Pearlie’s cousin Saphira is jealous of Pearlie’s popularity in the fairy world and desperately wants her job. With her incompetent assistant Ludwig, a bat with a heavy German accent, Saphira sets out to spoil perky Pearlie’s day any way she can. Pearlie remains oblivious – always thinking the best of her cousin – while Opal and Jasper are more hip to Saphira’s game. Saphira resides in the park’s greenhouse, running a day-spa for well-heeled fairies, butterflies and the odd goblin fairy inspector.
Based on the children's book series Pearlie the Park Fairy
by Wendy Harmer, Pearlie
is an animated series. Produced by the Australian Sticky Pictures and Canadian Nelvana
companies, it ran for one season in 2008 on qubo
and Ten Network.
Tropes used is this series include:
- Alpha Bitch: Saphira.
- Ambiguously Brown: Jasper.
- Ambiguously Gay: Gobsmack. He even wears lip gloss in "Snip and Snit".
- Animated Adaptation: Of an obscure Australian children's book series.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In "Super Sized Elf" Jasper grows to human size, which is giant by elf standards.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animals: Scrag and Mr. Flea.
- Black Best Friend: Opal.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Pearlie, Opal, and Fern when seen together.
- Brand X: Rose-Petal Muffins
- But Not Too Black: Opal
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Scrag and Mr. Flea
- The Ditz: Cheeky Duck
- Does Not Like Shoes: Jasper.
- Easy Amnesia: Jasper in "Peruvian Toadstool"
- Funny Animal: Ludwig the bat, Sugar the possum, and Scrag and Mr. Flea the rats, among others.
- G-Rated Drug: An ENTIRE EPISODE make a Love Bug's bites look like an acid trip.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Gobsmack's love poems in "Love Bites."
- In "Moth Balls," a flashback to the last year Full Moon Moth Ball has all the attendance surrounded by overturn alcohol-esque bottles.
- Ludwig and Saphira's master-slave relationship has some very masochistic aspects to it.
- Granola Girl: Fern
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Ludwig, who wears only a necktie and glasses.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Jasper for Fern.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Gobsmack's VA also voiced Frank in Ruby Gloom.
- The Hyena: Moe The Daisy-Cutting Pixie.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: The Full Moon Moth Ball.
- Jerkass: Gobsmack and Saphira.
- Land Down Under: Where Opal is from.
- Magic Skirt: Saphira
- Minion with an F in Evil: Ludwig.
- One of the Kids: A few characters.
- Our Fairies Are Different: They are of the tiny humanoids with wings variety. Pearlie has a wand while Opal uses a lasso to do magic.
- Our Elves Are Better: Jasper the wood elf. Though he's mistaken for a fairy because of his wings.
- Our Goblins Are Different: Gobsmack, who is as small as Pearlie and the other fairies. He is also very human looking, though he is covered in warts. He gets around by teleporting from place to place.
- Pinocchio Nose: Saphira after being cursed by the Blue Fairy.
- Plucky Girl: Pearlie.
- Rise of Zitboy: In "Dot Between the Eyes"
- Sore Loser: Saphira.
- ˇThree Amigos!
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Opal (tomboy) and Pearlie (girly girl).
- Twofer Token Minority: Opal is black and Austrailian.
- Two Girls and a Guy
- Why Did It Have to Be Spiders?: An elf thief is afraid of them.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Pearlie.
- Won't Take "Yes" for an Answer: Pearlie in "Bongo Boy".
- Youthful Freckles: Pearlie.