Western Animation / Kidd Video
"Listen up. I'm an animation fan; I've seen all sorts of animation in my lifetime. I've watched countless cartoons from every decade, good and bad. The statement I'm about to make....might sound hyperbolic but it's true:
"Believe me when I say Kidd Video is bar none, the absolute craziest, strangest, chaotic cartoon I have ever seen
. You know that Raggedy Ann movie
? This is weirder
This cult favorite originally ran from 1984-85 on NBC
and produced by DiC Entertainment
and Saban Entertainment
. It involved a Garage Band
who were brought to a very strange magical land
called the Flip Side by the evil controller of cats
, Master Blaster
. Master Blaster wishes to kidnap all the musicians from our world (it's never really explained why
; perhaps he had hit upon the idea of using The Power of Rock
for evil). The band escapes with the help of the good Fairy
, Glitter, and the rest of the series involves them getting into adventures in every city
and battling Master Blaster and his Copy Cats.
As with the Dungeons & Dragons
series, they're also ostensibly looking for a way to get back to the real world
... but not really. The fact that everyone
in the Flip Side loves their music relieves the sting of Failure Is the Only Option
Much, much more importantly, this series is remembered for being a truly glorious
perfect storm of Rule of Cool
, Deranged Animation
, and The '80s
. Mass quantities
of The '80s
The show was canceled for being too costly for NBC to produce.
. An extensive website, with episode guides, is maintained by Toolbot,
who has also been kind enough to upload several episodes
. Which is good, because trying to describe the show is nothing compared to actually watching it.note
Tropes appearing in Kidd Video include:
- Down the Rabbit Hole: As explained in the opening sequence, they were rehearsing in a storage room, when Master Blaster suddenly appears and brings them to the flipside, likely through the mirror that he appeared on.
- The '80s: Oh God yes. Did we mention Glitter wears legwarmers?
- Expository Theme Tune: Complete with live action footage of the origin story.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Both ways. The gang can't get home, nor can the Master Blaster capture them, or we have no more show.
- Fairy Companion: Glitter, who guides them throughout the Flipside, and helps them (or tries to) with her powers.
- Fake Band: Inverted. The four main actors who played the heroes also sang and played the band's songs.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: The two male Copycats, only wearing jackets. (She-Lion is a Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal, with a unitard, jacket, and sandals)
- Ink-Suit Actor: Besides doing their own singing and playing their own instruments, the cast members also voice their animated versions.
- Meaningful Name: Kidd Video, Whiz, Master Blaster, She-Lion, Kool Kitty. And those are just the recurring characters.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Inverted. The pirate captain is a parrot who carries a miniature human on his shoulder.
- Ominous Floating Castle: The Master Blaster's lair is a cross between this and Air Borne Aircraft Carrier.
- The Power of Rock: The Flipside is basically an entire universe that runs on rock music.
- The Psycho Rangers: The Copy Cats, the enemy band to the Good Guys' band. Part Goldfish Poop Gang.
- Punch Clock Villains: The Copy Cats are only following Master Blaster's orders. Otherwise, they're not really evil.
- That Reminds Me of a Song: Using popular radio hits of the day, sometimes including the music videos.
- Rule of Cool: The only excuse for the show's premise.
- Title Theme Tune: One of the few western productions to play with this trope. The chorus has the line "from my video to my radio", while the second verse (which only appears in the full version of the song) has the line "this kidd is up a tree", but it never actually gives the full name of the show.
- Trapped in Another World: The Flipside. They're trapped in it.
- Walking the Earth: Okay, they ride a bus-car-submarine-thing, and it's not the Earth, exactly, but the trope still applies.