Ever wondered how life would be if you had a clone of yourself? Why not ask this Canadian cartoon for examples?
Carl Crashman is a lazy 14-year-old who is good at only one thing: slacking. One day, he had a rough day and he was tired of doing things he hated all the time. While blogging on the Internet, he complained about his life. Hearing his request for a clone, an online cloning company sent Carl an exact clone of himself in a box. Carl named him Carl Squared or simply C2. Even if C2 looked like him, talked like him, and walked like him, C2 was more ambitious, hard working and charming, much to Carl's advantage. Since C2 arrived, Carl has been relaxing a lot more. However, C2 really always does something opposite to what Carl wants. Carl decided to keep C2 a secret from everyone else, except his best friend, Jamie James.
The series originally lasted for three seasons (2005–07). A fourth season was added in 2010–11 for a total of 65 episodes.
The show provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Lorna to Carl.
- Alliterative Name: Carl and Chloe Crashman
- Always Someone Better: Cousin Brittney is a better goth than Chloe. Chloe has to fight very hard not to give her the satisfaction.
- Alternate Timeline: C2 drops an olive into a time machine and changes the timeline into a Bizarro Universe. All Just a Dream
- Anonymous Benefactor: After Carl's garage burns down, the two hobos manage to replace it overnight. Turns out he was a famous jazz musician who decided to ride the rails and do anonymous good deeds as he goes.
- Bad Job, Worse Uniform: Buccaneer Burger and its pirate-themed uniforms.
- Black Best Friend: Jamie James
- Burger Fool: Buccaneer Burger
- Cloning Blues: C2 contains 5% DNA from Carl's dog Rex.
- The Ditz: C2
- Dragged into Drag: C2 in his Carlotta disguise.
- Egg Sitting
- Expository Theme Tune
- Goth: Chloe Crashman.
- Granola Girl: Skye
- Groupie Brigade: "Spotlight on Carl"
- I've Got an X and I'm Not Afraid to Use It: A security guard trying to get Carl and Jamie to stop playing a video game demo at an electronics store.
- Jar Potty: Used as a Brick Joke in one episode. C2 starts off in the luggage, begging for use of a washroom. Carl gives him a cup to use, since he couldn't confess to his family that he had a clone just yet. Near the end of the episode, Carl is the one who ends up in the suitcase, and drinks "some nasty soda C2 left".
- Limited Wardrobe: Kind of important, or Carl and his clone would have been outed much sooner. The first season has different outfits from the later ones, though.
- Perky Goth: Chloe's boyfriend, Damien. One of the few male examples of this trope.
- Punny Name: Skye Blue
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: In "Clone Scene Investigation", Carl claims that C2 is his identical cousin.
- Repetitive Name: Jamie James
- Sadist Teacher: Mr Agar
- Scary Librarian: Miss Dickens from the episode "Carl's Techno-Jinx". She crash tackles and handcuffs offenders, she puts Carl's library card through a blender and drinks it, and C2 is convinced that she put a curse on him.
- Shout-Out: In "Clone Scene Investigation," Lorna catches Carl and C2 together. To make certain the secret doesn't get out, Carl says he has an identical cousin. Lorna replies that it seems a little too 60's sitcom-ish.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Carl and Chloe
- The Slacker: Carl
- Soapbox Sadie: Skye
- Stalker with a Crush: Lorna
- The Talk: Carl's parents decide to give him the talk at the end of "Carl's Techno-Jinx", complete with helpful educational video.