Alienators: Evolution Continues
(aka Evolution: The Animated Series
for British audiences) was an animated series that ran from 2001 to 2002, based on the 2001 movie Evolution
. The story picks up after the events of the film, following the continuing adventures of Ira Kane, Harry Block, and Wayne Grey, and also introduces a fourth hero in the form of a Blue Beret soldier named Lt. Lucy Mai and a Team Pet
named Gassie, as well as the Big Bad
known as Scopes, leader of an army of Starfish Aliens
called the Genus.
- Aliens Speaking English: In one of the early episodes Ira listened to a recording of Scopes' roars and suddenly deduced that Scopes was in fact speaking in binary (or something). He then translated it into English to reveal some generic megalomaniacal threats. The next time Scopes appeared, he'd suddenly lost his inner mouth/ring of teeth and was suddenly speaking English.
- Animated Adaptation
- Big Bad: Scopes. Whenever it was destroyed, another Scopes would be generated and, as a side-effect of sharing the experiences and memories of their predecessors, it started becoming intelligent.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: For some reason (cough cough) our heroes need brightly colored jumpsuits here.
- Da Chief: General Woodman and Allison Reed.
- Exact Words/Loophole Abuse: In one episode Harry and Ira are in a military jail with Mai as the guard. General Granger orders her to not let any clowns out. Since Harry and Ira are not "clowns" she lets them out after trolling them for a minute.
- Family-Friendly Firearms: Apparently, the police and US military had switched wholesale to energy weapons after the events of the movie.
- Flanderization: Wayne and Allison, where Wayne is much younger, no longer a skirt chaser, is much more of a jock, and has his surname changed from "Grey" to "Green", and Allison is far less clumsy, and her relationship with Ira is non-existent.
- Genetic Memory: The Genus has this as part of a Hive Mind basis with Scopes acting as a sort of Hive Queen.
- In Medias Res: "To Carthage Then I Came", which begins with Lucy carrying an unconcious Wayne through the desert, and then we get a flashback on how they, Ira, Harry, and Gassie ended up in that sticky situation before returning to the climax.
- Les Collaborateurs: General Granger as part of his New World Order scheme teams us with the Genus. Scopes how ever planned to have him Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves.
- Retcon: At the end of the movie, Wayne was dubbed a honorary fireman by the governor, but in the three-part pilot episode "Survival", Wayne claims that he is still a "fireman in training."
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: The Center for impending disasters has on in the form a Neutron Bomb due to the fact that the lab used to be use for studying viruses and need to prevent an viral outbreak.
- Weaponised Vehicle: The team's ride, an old fire engine Wayne found and refitted Ecto-1 style.