Webcomic: The World of Vicki Fox
This furry webcomic, created and written by Michael Russell and drawn by various artists, began in 2001. The strip can be read here, and an index of cast biographies (mostly written in Vicki's voice, and the source of the Word of God quotes on this page) is here.It's a wholesome Slice of Life comic about Vicki, a likable young fox woman who lives in a small town in Georgia, and her interactions with her friends and family. Vicki shares a house with Ceri Bobcat, hangs out with Meredith Skunk, works as a science reporter at the local paper, and puts up with occasional visits by Zephy Fox, her annoying mooch of a fraternal twin sister.In December 2013, Russell announced that the strip would be ceasing production, and that in 2015 it will be replaced with a continuation called Dixie Wildlife which will focus on the bluegrass band that Vicki and her friends belong to. On the comic's message board, he added that the strip was going on hiatus due to Schedule Slip, and "will return when these production issues are resolved".
The Tropes of Vicki Fox:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Vicki is on both sides of this trope.
- The Atoner: After a near-fatal car accident, Steve Reynard made up for a life of Hookers and Blow by becoming a youth pastor.
- Author Avatar: Mike Flafox and Laura Anne Hare are based on Michael Russell and the strip's original artist, Laura Howell.
- Awesome Aussie: Meredith's boyfriend dresses and acts like one, and he's even named Aussienote ...
- Fake Nationality: ...but he's really an American.
- "Bang!" Flag Gun: Vicki has one in this fan pic by RebelSqurl, which is based on The Wild Wild West.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: About half the furry cast (most notably Vicki and Meredith), with the other half being Fully Dressed Cartoon Animals. Zephy goes back and forth between the two tropes.
Aussie: You'll drag me in every shoe shop in the mall... to buy shoes you don't even wear!
- Lampshaded in one strip which simultaneously invokes both this trope and All Women Love Shoes. Aussie complains when Meredith and Vicki rope him into a shopping trip:
- Bare Your Midriff: Zephy sometimes dresses like this, as seen on her biography page. While Meredith dresses that way all the time.
- Burger Fool: In the June 2013 strip, Zephy (reluctantly) takes a job at a sub sandwich shop called Sub-Your-Way.
- Celebrity Resemblance: The character design for Geoff Hanson, Vicki's seldom-seen boss, is based on Drew Carey—but the resemblance ends there. Since Geoff is a Bad Boss with No Sense of Humor, his personality is the exact opposite of Carey's.
- Cheerful Child: Vicki's cousin Debbie Flafox and her friend Cody Raccoon.
- Conflict Ball/Villain Ball: Zephy seems to be the only character whose intentions are less than good. However, even though she frequently causes trouble for Vicki, it's due more to thoughtlessness than malice.
- Deep South: The strip is set in the fictional "Apopka, Georgia; a small town near the Tennessee border". It's based on the real town of Dahlonega, Georgia, and named after a real Apopka which is in Florida.
- Evil Twin: Zephy isn't exactly evil, but she's everything Vicki is not: an inconsiderate, self-centered, freeloading wastrel who smokes, drinks and Really Gets Around. In one arc, she has to crash at Vicki's house because she'd cheated on her most recent boyfriend.
- Word of God: "[Zephy] represents the opposite of Vicki. Where Vicki is good and does what is moral, Zephy represents a girl who has wandered away. A sort of prodigal daughter."
- Fake Band: Dixie Wildlife, a bluegrass group that Vicki and several of her friends belong to.
- The Fashionista/Valley Girl: Two major aspects of Meredith's personality.
- Fiery Redhead: Both Vicki and Zephy have red hair, although Vicki isn't especially fiery.
- Multicolored Hair: Zephy dyes her front locks blonde.
- Geek/Nerd/Lovable Nerd: Craig Wolfe, "a big sci-fi and SCA fan. He is a little socially awkward, but very likeable."
- Geek Physiques: "Craig lives up to the skinny, nerdy, computer geek stereotype."
- Glasses Girl: Ceri Bobcat.
- Jerkass: Zephy, who has a habit of showing up at Vicki's door unannounced, asking for money, and generally imposing on everyone. And when Vicki and Ceri politely suggest that she look for a job if she's going to stick around, she doesn't take it well.
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!: A very mild case. Humans exist in Vicki's world, but they don't show up often and have almost no bearing on the plot.
- Sliding Scale of Animal Cast: Level 3.
- Never My Fault: Zephy's "hobbies": "Complaining that life has dealt her bad luck. Complaining about her boyfriend."
- Nice Girl/Nice Guy: Most of the cast, especially Vicki herself.
- Not a Morning Person: Ceri, judging from her introduction.
- Oblivious to Love: Pastor Steve doesn't seem to realize that he's Vicki's Love Interest. Vicki speculates that he might have difficulty getting close to people because of his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Species Surname: All the furry characters.
- Stealth Pun: Laura comes from Cardiff, Wales, making her a literal Welsh rabbit.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: Vicki shows a Crush Blush on the sides of her muzzle when first discussing Pastor Steve.
- Trademark Favorite Food: For Vicki, it's chocolate.
- Very Special Episode: The strip from September 16, 2001 shows the characters reacting to the September 11 attacks.