Just another day on the job.Work Sucks
is a Furry Webcomic
focusing on the lives of the characters Gayle and Terra in a bizarre world where animal-kin live among monsters, living day-to-day trying to avoid becoming lunch for the larger beasts. Ironically, their jobs happen to be inside the belly of a giant space whale and home to their boss, Kaz the Jester.
Work Sucks Contains Examples of:
- Animals Not to Scale: Pretty much every animal character is around the same general size.
- The Ark: Zeppy
- Art Evolution: The first comics were in black and white and sometimes lacked backgrounds. Over time, they've gained more detail, colour, and more intricate background designs.
- Bag of Holding: The cast have used several over the course of their careers so far. They range from a backpack with a membrane entrance to weapons to Socks' fanny pack.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Shoes don't exist in this universe.note
- Shoes would probably be awkward in a world where everything reacts like a bounce-house.
- Bigger on the Inside: Fairly common for most monsters. Hoo'va for example has a massive space covered in very powerful monster lungs that create tornadoes whenever he breathes hard.
- Censor Box: Early in the comic Kaz censors Gayle’s potty mouth by painting over his curse words.
- Chekhov's Gun: Nothing in Kaz’s monster care kits goes to waste, nor have devices shown for apparent gags.
- Comic Trio: Gayle, Terra, and Kaz.
- Crapsaccharine World
- The Engineer: Gayle
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: Save for the characters all being normal size, this is pretty much the plot of any given work day for our heroes. Though Terra and Kaz were shrunken by a matter-recombobulator a one point
- Furry Confusion: Averted. The animals in this world are given the place of humans while monsters take up the place of animals, including food sources.
- Giant Flyer: Zeppy note
- The Jester: Kaz
- Kindly Vet: Terra
- Living Toys: Socks
- Man-Eating Plant: One just outside of Zeppy’s hovering spot has been menacing Gayle. It eventually steals his cell phone and has been shown ordering pizza and eating the delivery boy.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Socks.
- Percussive Maintenance: Gayle’s solution to get the matter recombobluator to unshrink Kaz and Terra
- Quicksand Sucks: Kaz really should park Zeppy somewhere safer.
- Rubber Man: Kaz is a rubber lion. He’s been shown to squeak when slapping or being slapped, with his footsteps, and when squeezed al-la a stress toy.
- Swallowed Whole: Kaz is a collector of monsters, so this happens fairly often. He’s invented several methods to get out of those situations,one of which being a pill called "Pukitol”
- Shrink Ray: A matter-recombobulator Gayle attempts to fix has had several effects, one of which has been shrinking Kaz and Terra.
- A recent arc straight up uses one, rented from a friend of Gayle's.
- Sucking-In Lines: Many monsters have breath attacks.
- The Symbiote: Hatch
- Vacuum Mouth: All of the monsters sure are lazy, and seemingly have infinite lung capacity.
- Weapons That Suck: Gayle and Kaz use a pair of gunk-shooting guns in a friendly duel, but Gayle's (after some modifications) sucks Kaz into a vortex and traps him in a hammerspace ball.
- While not a weapon, a printing machine was designed to suck in prisoners and print them as paper for transport. Its effects were found to not last long enough
- You Fail Science Forever: Lampshaded with Gayle pointing out Kaz’s ridiculous explanations about gravity and space distortion.