A webcomic by Melissa Albino, aka Nalem, Lighter Than Heir
is about Zeppelin Von Schultheiss, a volant girl who's also the daughter of Hemmel Von Schultheiss. Due to being recognized as the daughter of a war hero, Zeppelin didn't take too kindly to anything she did being ignored so when she turned nineteen, she signed up for the military in hopes of becoming an even bigger war hero. With an ego as big as hers, she'll be in for a surprise.
Updates every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Lighter Than Heir contains examples of:
- Cerebus Syndrome: Even in its more violent and dramatic bits, the strip stays relatively lighthearted - until Zeppelin is vivisected, then finds her father's corpse, at which point all the plotlines start to get very dark, very fast.
- Deconstruction: Of many things.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Since they all enter training camp.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha: Fleischer have made one with Hertz's help, because she wanted one.
- Jerkass: Roth and Austerlitz, Hertz to an extent, but Zeppelin is the main offender.
- Mildly Military: The military here whips back and forth from being bugshit crazy to exceptionally casual, and makes sure to stay far clear of ideas like "discipline". It makes for a more amusing story that way.
- Mood Whiplash: After getting treated to seeing whatever's left of her dad, we cut immediately to a flashback of an adorable Zeppelin celebrating her fifth birthday.
- Steampunk: Some influences are there, such as the machines they pilot and the metallic arm cast.
- Walk on Water: Anyone who's a volant is capable of this due to being buoyant enough not to sink.
- Wham Line: Page 378. "...Dad?"