The Boy Who Died
A story based fantasy Webcomic
by Kat Santoro.Cat Legend
is a rather unusual blend of Medieval European Fantasy
and Urban Fantasy
, with the narrative switching back and forth between two time periods. The comic follows the adventures of a core cast of characters which slowly expands as their places in the medieval portion of the story are revealed.
It can be found Here
Major cast includes:
And many others whose stories are still being revealed.
Cat Legend includes examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: A lot of things don't really fit in the (admittedly vague) time period. Some of the witches just stop caring.
- Anti-Villain: Lord Nymndemise
- Art Evolution: Significant change both in terms of quality and character design. Understandable when you consider how long the comic's been running.
- The Blank: Mindy and Leelah
- Blind Seer: Mendel was a Seer before ever going blind, but retains a form of his sight even in blindness.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Shadowmancers.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Sarah
- Dead to Begin With: Cat, but he gets better.
- Elemental Powers: Several.
- The Fair Folk
- Fantastic Racism: All over the place.
- Four-Fingered Hands
- Ghost Amnesia: Cat isn't dead (anymore), but dying did take away nearly all memory of his previous life.
- Glamour Failure: In a literal sense; some faeries in the modern-day setting, particularly Vali, seem to be having difficulty keeping their glamour going.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Sarah, with human father and faery mother.
- Happily Adopted: They don't get to see each other often, but Vali and adopted daughter Dee are nonetheless very close.
- How We Got Here: As of the end of the first act, Cat's retelling of past events is revealed as the Framing Device.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Threnody, the Mad Fae of Forget, possesses the ability to induce this.
- Living Lie Detector: Alexandria, aka Truth
- Living Shadow: Sunny.
- Mad Oracle: Not all the time, but to prophesize, Truth has to become temporarily insane.
- Meaningful Name: Again, Truth. Also Stone.
- No Social Skills: Dor grew up locked in his room, with no companionship but books and an occasional visit from Bing. Social skills are...lacking.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Even within the story itself, the Fae are a very diverse bunch.
- Prophet Eyes: Mendel the Seer
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Bing, when he's angry or using his fire powers. Or both.
- Relationship Reboot: Sarah and Dor
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Sarah and Dor whenever they are in the same room.
- The Starscream: From what we've seen so far, Stone to Lord Nymndemise
- Super Empowering: Lily to Cat
- Tap on the Head: Subverted. When Bing hits Mercutious Nymndemise in the back of the head with a candlestick, it doesn't simply knock him out, it puts him into a coma, from which his vassals fear he may never awaken.
- Unusual Euphemism: "What the crumb?"
- Verbal Tic Name: Mr. Peeps, as revealed in the companion comic.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sarah and Dor again
- Winged Humanoid: Harpies and several faeries.