Two characters who since they first met have been at odds with each other — or even active enemies — decide in the wake of some event or epiphany to wipe the slate clean and start their relationship anew. To symbolize this new beginning, they re-enact a new "first meeting" between themselves by shaking hands and trading introductions. Sometimes they also trade capsule descriptions of themselves.
Not to be confused with Relationship Reset Button
- After the Infinite Crisis, Batman returned to Gotham City and decided to give the former corrupt cop Harvey Bullock another chance.
- Blast Hardcheese and Doctor Lady do this in Space Mutiny right after she shows off her, uh, dancing.
- Invoked in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Both John and Jane find out that the other is a paid assassin and, by extension, that everything they've told each other about themselves is a lie. Each starts telling the other the truth about their real selves, and John notes, "We're going to have to redo every conversation we've ever had."
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: The two main love interests literally wipe the slate clean... if by "slate" you mean "the memories of their romance".
- In Stardust by Neil Gaiman, Tristran Thorn does this with the star.
- Suggested in Wizard and Glass by Susan after she and the witch Rhea are at each other's throats about two minutes after they've met. Susan asks if they could "begin again"; Rhea says that's impossible but "perhaps we could go on better than we began." They don't.
- In The Most Happy Fella, Tony and Rosabella go through "Happy To Meet Your Acquaintance" in their first scene together since their wedding (which took place just after Tony was badly injured in a truck accident). Even more poignant is the final scene, where Tony recalls (in words and music) the note from him that Rosabella (or, to use her real name, Amy) read off a restaurant menu in the first scene.
- Played with in an episode of Family Guy, where Quagmire lets slip one of his fantasies about Lois to Peter:
Quagmire: Is it possible she's a whore? ...You know, like on weekends, just to pay for her mom's dialysis? ...Like in my fantasy? ...Y'know what, let's start over. Hi, I'm Quagmire! (offers his hand)