Suzy and R.J. are the same person.Suzy created R.J. originally as an attempt to find out more about the Activity Club. She stayed with Johnny's gang because she can get a lot of dirt on other people this. My reasoning for this is that they have similar eye designs and can apparently take very good pictures with phone cameras.
- Unless she can clone herself, this is Jossed, as in the Ghost Train chapter Johnny's gang, R.J. included, passes by Suzy's house while she's inside talking to her flunkies.
PJ only died very recently.Recently enough to use up-to-date slang ("...then you screamed and totes fainted.") Maybe this is why Max's Dad got such a good deal on the Corner Store?
- And yet he doesn't know who Batman is. Perhaps he just picked up modern language from previous occupants.
- There are plenty of people who don't know who Batman is, surprisingly enough. He might have lived a sheltered live and picked up slang from kids walking into the corner store.
R.J. is some kind of supernatural creatureEspecially supernatural, considering normal humans can see them. I base this on their eyes, which are weird even for this comic.
- Could be a medium like Isaac, judging by their sparkling green mohawk briefly revealed by a speeding car.
- RJ cannot see supernatural creatures, although that does not prove they don't have something supernatural going on
- Jossed. They were able to pass through the barrier.
Mr. Spender's glasses are his toolIn the scene right before Max bats the... well, the bat, we see a quick set of pictures showing the other characters preparing to step in- Mr. Spender is holding onto his sunglasses, with what may be energy swirling towards it or out of it. It would also explain why it is that he's always wearing them. Also, the current page header on the Paranatural website has all the tools together- Max's bat, Ed's brush, Isabel's book, and Mr. Spender's glasses on the top. Alternatively, his tool could be in one or both of his eyes, or be his eyes themselves.
- Or each of the lenses is a tool with a different spirit in each.
- The one-spirit-per-lens theory is looking more likely; Spender worries about being near a yellow spirit for the sake of his mental stability. If being connected to one spirit takes a mental toll, imagine being connected to two.
- I'm guessing this has something to do with the whole light-and-dark theme he has going on (His panel in chapter 1, page 60, and also the lighting in his room). Furthermore, he reacted almost violently when Isabel tried to hand him another tool. Having two spirits is bad enough — imagine THREE.
- Or each of the lenses is a tool with a different spirit in each.
- Confirmed here: Mr. Spender's sunglasses are a tool with the power to control light. And shadow, apparently
Isaac is excluded because his power is extremely destructive or hard to control, and possibly tied to his emotionsI base this purely on the fact that when Max was pestering him in chapter 3, he used the famous Hulk quote "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry". There has got to be some significance there, not to mention he'd just finished explaining how he could "completely destroy" Ed and Isabel together. And Word of God has confirmed that Isaac has a rather sparky temper.
- Or because Mr. Spender doesn't want Isaac's violent and unruly spirit to hear the information. He can't exactly throw him away like he did with Max's tool.
- Judging by Isaac's aborted response to Max asking about this subject, it seems likely he's done something to earn the mistrust of the other members.
- Don't forget Doorman's "redemption you seek".
- Plenty of hints are in Doorman's scene.
Doorman is a medium overtaken by the spirit possessing himAs theorized in this comment.
Issac has only been possessed recentlyIf mediums get more powerful as their spirit recovers and Issac can't really do too much with his powers, then it's only a matter of time.
- But Isaac can do plenty with his powers.
Isabel's spirit is spider-like.Due to the symbol on her book, as pointed out by Crazyman BT in this comments section.
- Confirmed, Eightfold is a paper spider-like spirit.
Johnny and Suzy are going to be the next two spectrals.In the most recent update a pencil tool happened to be found, the aura color is stated to be pink. Which matches up perfectly with Suzy's color scheme, and it being a pencil fits given that she's a reporter and has used one as a weapon before.On Johnny's case he has seen Issac fighting a spirit right after he was hit in the head, it's possible that he's starting to see stuff, and is shaking it off. He'd get the plunger as a tool, since it's connected to an enemy of Max who Johnny is a Friendly Enemy with. Also it seems predictable that he'd get a joke weapon.
- No, wait: Johnny gets the pencil, Suzy gets the plunger, and the audience all get trolled.
- He saw the lightning Isaac made, but the flashback from his point of view makes it very clear he 'didn't' see the spirit getting attacked. Background of the last panel here.
- Well, it looks like at least Johnny was confirmed. He's now a medium for Forge.
Mr. Spender's eyes glowThe physical manifestation of his spirit is glowy eyes. His sunglasses are not his tool and are instead used hide his weird eyes from others.
Johnny has healing powers.C'mon. A scooter hit his head so hard it dented in, and he hit his head on a rock and definitely appeared to be bleeding to death, but jumped up moments later both times. And both times, the characters in the story noticed and thought it was strange that he was uninjured. Once is a funny event. Twice is foreshadowing. His healing power has consistent limitations, as well. Both times he appeared to have fatal injuries, he lay still, possibly unconscious, for several seconds to a minute, before claiming to have been fine all along, and laying still isn't really normal behavior for Johnny. So it presumably takes a minute to work.
- Arguably the first time was because of the Doctopi which promptly attached to his head and started eating his pain. Still an interesting theory, just thought I'd mention that. Then again, the Doctopi did hop off him fairly quickly, and if he had sustained serious scooter-based head trauma, presumably he would start hurting again after the flying cephalopod was done with him. What an odd sentence.
- Here, in the background, although it could just be a funny background event.
Isaac and his spiritMontezeusma went to Mayview to meet Doorman for the same unknown reason as Forge but was defeated by Mr. Spender (Here the bunny spirit mentions a storm god on his list of arrogant dead). After the battle he possessed Isaac. When Isaac awoke his powers, he made a huge mess (This is why he was worried about Max awakening here and was what he tried to say here), and for this reason he is excluded in the Activity Club. This theory also explains how Isaac met Doorman, it was because Montezeusma already knew him and was working on the same secret agenda before being forced to possess Isaac.
Forge is Doorman's master.What is Doorman doing hiding in the outskirts of town anyway? We know they're affiliated in some way, but they're conspiring something. Likely with the intention of good but with questionable morality.
- See the last line here and the first line after. By "succeeded", Doorman is referring to Forge successfully trespassing into Mayview.
- In panel 8 here, he says "my master does not fear broken gods", alluding to a conflict between Forge and the spirit inhabiting Max.
- Unlikely. Forge dragged scrap metal to the barrier to make a door so Doorman could let him in. When he lost the scrap metal Forge asked what other way he could get in. Forge didn't know a way through the barrier other then with the help of Doorman, so why would Doorman be expecting Forge.
Mr. Spender's Tool contains the ghost of an Armstrong.And his sparkling techniques were passed down the family line for GENERATIONS!!!
Johnny actually receive brain damage from being hit by Max's scooterHis behaviour has become more erratic and less sane, even some of his (smarter) friends are noticing.
Max's dad has the potential to be a spectral, or is one in a minor continuity problem.This page got a lot of people guessing that Max's dad was a spectral because of the exchange about being a "weird psychic". While this was quickly written off as another joke, there might be more to the theory than some people realize: specifically, that the Whale-Frog initially tried to possesses him in Chapter 2 before reconsidering. Issac explains in the next chapter about the difference between tools and mediums, specifically that tools lure over a suitable spectral, and mediums are when the spirit possesses the suitable spectral directly. Why would Whale-Frog try to possess Max's dad unless he was, or has the potential to be, a spectral? The problem with the theory is the reveal of the barrier around Mayview; if Max's dad was already a spectral, he wouldn't have been able to get through the barrier without using the Ghost Train. It's still possible he's an unawakened spectral, however.
Mr. Spender was a member of Nudist Beach (Kill la Kill).He glows in one of the pages. Just like Aikuro.
Paranatural is in the same universe as Soul Eater and Bakemonogotari...In one of the pages, Issabel uses Soul Protect. Also, spectrals have a different colored soul, just like Maka and Soul, for example. As for Bakemonogotari; either Mr. Spender or BL explains that Spirits are based off of one persons beliefs.
Isabels next spirit will be that one Riddle Spirit.On chapter 4 of page 39, Ed explains that the color of your spectral energy has to match that of the spirit.
Isaac will take a Heel-Face turnAs foreshadowed on Chapter 3, Page 51:
Isabel: "Very cool Isaac. Very brooding anti-hero."
Isaac: "You think?"
- How can he make a Heel-Face Turn when he isn't evil?
- Maybe he gets really pissed and goes rogue?
Isaac will eventually have an Unstoppable Rage moment
Boss Leader is the ghost of Max's Mom.Okay, long shot here. First of all, comparing their head shape and arm size here◊, we can see they are a bit similar body-wise. It's been shown both are a bit scatterbrained, and Boss leader seems to know a lot more about Max then she lets on. Contributing to this...
- Also, Max's mom's death was apparently a grisly one and Boss Leader is wrapped in bandages all the time.
Max's Mom was a spectral.Maybe this would explain why Max's Dad never seemed to mind the fact that Max is leaving in the nights. Perhaps his wife did the same thing and he learned not to question it.
In another chapter, the PAC will investigate a haunted mansion.It will also be revealed to be the place where P.J. died. It will also look a lot like the mansion from Mystery Skulls. This troper just really wants to see this trope played out.
One of the Disaster Masters from Cucumber Quest will make a cameo.This troper (the one above) also really wants to see this happen.
The "teacher with a secret" is Baxter.She's got no strings attached to her on the Chapter 5 title page.
Mr. Garcia is the infiltrator and secretly in a relationship with Spender.Cause why the fuck not.
Spender never completely defeated "the strongest spirit."Instead, he destroyed its body and it possessed him in order to survive. Releasing it is too big of a risk, so he settled for keeping it contained. Bonus: the Activity Consortium either doesn't know about this or it's hush-hush and just between Boss Leader and Spender himself.
The powers of "the strongest spirit" were:
- Being able to create barriers similar to the one around Mayview.
- Being able to change the color of spectral energy.
- The ability to take away the powers of a spectral (Using tools, seeing spirits, etc)
- The ability to outright destroy other spirits.
Agent Day's memory issuesWhen Agent Day met with Spender she doesn't remember meeting him previously, and based on both Max's reaction to meeting her and his knowledge of what she likes (along with kinda-sad expression while he speaks of that) it's probably safe to say he knew her in the past (meaning it's probably her in this flashback). This troper has two theories:
- Agent Day's powers somehow affected her memories (and maybe her eyesight? or was she always blind? I dunno, I'm digressing), or
- Agent Day had her memories erased by someone (possibly Boss Leader, unless when talking to Max she meant she can only make people forget the current dreams they're in)