Is one of several sequels to SHUFFLE!
and the only one so far to be translated into English. It is a direct continuation of Nerineís ending and begins when Mayumi, Nerine, Rin and Itsuki accidentally activate a magical device and hurl themselves twenty years into the past and into the demon world, where they meet a younger Forbesii, his fiancťe Ai and the maid Sage. As it turns out, Nerineís mother is actually Sage, but due to the distraction that their appearance caused, Sage was unable to give Forbesii the gift she had intended that would have led to him proposing to her.
In order to fix the past, you need to help Sage and Forbesii get together. Unfortunately, Rin happens to be incompetent, so attempts to do so alter the timeline much more than if he leaves well enough alone, which can throw all sorts of wrinkles into the development and even lead to him seducing either Ai or Sage. Thus, there are four endings, all of them based on how much you manage to screw things up. Likely on purpose.
Tick! Tack! provides examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Rin walks in on Sage changing once and Ai bathing three times. The first is shrugged off, the second one is forgiven but only just and the third is only if youíve pursued a relationship with her, meaning fun times for Rin ensue.
- A-Cup Angst: Sage and Mayumi are quite distressed over their small cup size, though Mayumi tries to console herself by saying her figure appeals to some people.
- Amnesiac Lover: If you mess up the timeline enough, Nerine will forget Rin. Works out okay anyway.
- Arranged Marriage: Aiís marriage to Forbesii was arranged before they even met. She loves the idea. He doesnít seem to really care.
- Battle Butler: Bark is noted to be very strong despite his goofiness, but mostly does the housework that Sage or Forbesii donít take care of.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Rin mocks Mayumi early on for not having a route in SHUFFLE!.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Ai has to get herself really drunk before switching to going after Rin.
- But Thou Must: If you trigger enough flags for Ai that she falls in love with Rin, saying either yes or no to sleeping her ends up with Rin doing it. Sheís even happier if you say no at first.
- The Casanova: Despite his failure to get on Sage, Nerine or Aiís good sides, heís still noted to be very popular.
- Chick Magnet: According to Ria, Rin just has a natural charm and ability to flirt without consequence that Itsuki just canít pull off. Ai and Sage make similar observations when their attraction to him begins growing.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Bark is a complete idiot, but heís noted to be very strong.
- The Devil: Thanks to human misunderstandings, a race that is more like elves are known as devils. Rin dryly notes that satanic cultists around the world would commit suicide if they could see what a dork lacking in dignity 'the devil' is.
- Duality Motif: Mayumi has heterochromia, presumably a result of having been born between a devil and a human.
- For Want of a Nail: Make little tweaks to the timeline can drastically effect what happens to Nerine in the future.
- Genki Girl: Ria is like some sort of perverse mix of Sia and Asa from the original, making her cheery, meddlesome and rash.
- Guide Dang It: To get everything you want out of this story, you need to juggle historical accuracy values, multiple sets of relationship values pointing towards different characters, view scenes in the right order and avoid doing everything too fast or Itsuki will send you back to your own time. You can get a good ending fairly easily without the precise knowledge of a walkthrough, but youíll be missing important scenes and events.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Despite her reserved appearance, Ai can drink and drink and never get drunk.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite all the changes that you can introduce into the timeline, 'Nerine' will still come out of the relationship in the end. She might have red hair or be about five years younger though.
- Interclass Romance: Sage is a maid. Forbesii is the crown prince. Nerine is the result.
- I See London: Thanks to the Thunder Kick, numerous people get to enjoy Sageís underwear.
- Kid from the Future: The perspective is flipped from the usual, but now that Nerine has gone back in time accidentally she and Rin have to make sure that Sage and Forbesii get married after messing up the latterís proposal. Unfortunately, they kind of suck at it. Fortunately, Nerine always exists in some form even so.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Itsuki is constantly flirting and trying to sleep with everyone.
- Love Triangle
- Forbesii is engaged to Ai, but in love with Sage. Everyone involved knows the score as well.
- Rin, being the ever helpful bumbling idiot that he is, can end up seducing Ai or Sage. Naturally, this sets up two more triangles at once.
- Marry Them All: There are endings where you also hook up with Ai or Sage along with whatever version of Nerine is with you. The purple Nerine even says pretty bluntly 'Yeah, so long as itís a girl I know itís okay.'
- Meido: Sage was hired to help with the housework one year before, though Forbesii keeps irritating her by trying to take over the cooking.
- Mood Killer: Mayumi and Itsuki instantly break Nerine and Rin apart when they begin flirting in public.
- Multiple Endings: The endings all seem to be based around how much Rin manages to screw the timeline up.
- You can just hang out with Nerine the whole time and actually keep the timeline the way itís supposed to be.
- If you pursue Sage, Forbesii will marry Ai instead and the purple haired Nerine will replace the Nerine Rin knew.
- Causing a fight between Sage and Forbesii will delay Nerineís conception.
- You can pile up a lot of affection points with Ai and make her give up on Forbesii and go for Rin instead. Rin goes back to his time and when he gets home Ai has been waiting for him for twenty years. Nerine is confused but apparently itís just not that big of a deal that Rin now has two lovers.
- Nice Girl: Ai is polite, friendly, kind and social. She doesnít even seem to resent Sage or Forbesii when the pair fall in love, though sheís certainly not happy.
- No Antagonist: Thereís no bad guy in the story. The only conflict begins when the arrival of Rinís group throws Nerineís existence itself into question. People are saddened when their love doesnít work out, but never lash out at each other.
- Opera Gloves: Ai occasionally wears very long, white gloves. Usually she wears much shorter ones, however.
- Painting the Medium: Cineraria chats about the music notes that she needs to attach to the end of her sentences.
- Personality Swap:
- Nerineís personality and aspects of her appearance flip based on whether or not youíre matching the 'real' timeline of events. Sage is Nerineís mother, but if the timeline isnít followed properly her mother will instead be whatserface. The blue Nerine is calm and polite while the purple Nerine is energetic and chatty. They both have Nerineís memories though unless you keep screwing with the timeline.
- Ria casts a spell on Itsuki that makes him think heís a girl. Terror ensues.
- Petite Pride: Mayumi forcibly convinces herself that thereís a demand for flat chests and that she ought to be proud of them.
- Proper Lady: Ai is warm, gentle, strong and wears an outfit suggesting purity and cleanliness.
- Relationship Values: You can juggle the affection scores of characters in a couple ways. You can push Sage or Ai towards Forbesii, but you can also end up being a little too smooth and getting them to go for you instead.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: Rin, Mayumi and Itsuki remember the real history. Nerine herself tends to change depending on how history is changed. Sheíll remember at first even if she fundamentally changes due to your mishaps, but keep it up and sheíll forget.
- Sacred First Kiss: Ai is kind of upset when she finds herself attracted enough to Rin to give it to him instead of Forbesii.
- Second Love: Being too nice to Sage or Ai makes them decide the Forbesii thing isnít working out and go for Rin instead.
- The Slow Path: Ai waits twenty years for Rin if he seduces her. Nerine is pretty understanding somehow, though she doesnít want Ai to monopolize him.
- Smarter Than You Look: Ai looks pretty spacey, but sheís able to figure out on her own from what time Rinís group comes and what theyíre trying to do.
- Stable Time Loop: Itís speculated that the group might be in one early on. Indications are that no, they werenít, but now theyíve set one up.
- Stepford Smiler: Ai looks very friendly and calm, but sheís pretty upset that her fiancťe doesnít love her and knows heís going to break off the engagement soon.
- Supreme Chef: Sage and Forbesii are masters at cooking and much to Sageís irritation Forbesii keeps at it even when itís her job. He wants to be able to make an omelet as good as the one she made but canít compare.
- The Tease: The purple haired Nerine seems to have inherited Aiís rather flirty nature and doesnít have Aiís proper girl attitude to mask it
- Theme Naming: The devils seem to be named for plants apart from Ai.
- Sage is sage, of course.
- Forbesii is a type of cypress
- Cineraria, Lyrcoris and Nerine are all types of flowers.
- Bark is simply bark.
- Even Mayumi gets in on it despite only being half devil: Her last name, Thyme, is a spice.
- Tsundere: Sage lets her emotions out through kicks. Sheís pretty nice to Rin though.
- Twice Shy: Thanks to the interference in the timeline, Sage and Forbesii canít admit how they feel to each other.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hair color is all over the place. Thereís dark reds, purples and blues to go around.
- You Lose at Zero Trust: If you screw up the timeline enough, Itsuki demands that you go home before you make things even worse by eliminating Nerine altogether or maybe even preventing Sia from being born. These endings arenít actually bad, but itís treated like you screwed up.
- Your Cheating Heart: Pursuing events with Ai or Sage and not pushing them towards Forbesii leads to Rin having an affair. Works out okay somehow. Nerine is an understanding girl, apparently.