Video Game / 1080░ Snowboarding
, often referred to as just 1080░
, is a snowboard Racing Game
developed and published by Nintendo
for the Nintendo 64
and first released in Japan on 28 February 1998. It was re-released on the Wii
's Virtual Console
service in 2008. The player controls one of five playable snowboarders from a third-person perspective using a combination of buttons to jump and perform tricks over eight levels.
Its sequel 1080: Avalanche
, released for the Nintendo GameCube
in 2003, is the most recent release.
1080░ Snowboarding contains examples of:
1080░ Avalanche contains examples of:
- Age Lift: In their last appearance Rob, Akari, and Ricky were 20, 17, and 14 respectively. They're now 23, 19, and 18. The Time Skip affected some more than others.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Kensuke Kimachi, arguably the main character due to being The Mario of the first title is absent. Especially odd as he was a playable character in many trailers leading up to the release, and a picture of him still appears in the background at the chalet. Ricky Winterborn takes over as the main character, Rob Haywood becomes The Leader of the team, but no one has balanced stats. Dion is also missing. The only characters to return are the ones who guest starred in Wave Race.
- Five-Token Band: A little change up from before
- Rob is White American and now The Leader of the group with Kensuke gone. Main color is now green. Has the best balance. Listens to hard rock.
- Ricky is Canadian, eh?. He's The Lancer as a competitive rebellious kid compared to Rob's serious athleticism. Also The Face of the group. His main color is a bluish cyan. Has the highest jump. Listens to punk rock and electronic music.
- Akari is Japanese and still The Chick as the most energetic, friendly and supportive member of the group. Main color is pink. Has the best turning. Listens to pop, and starting to get into punk via Ricky.
- Kemen is from Chile. The new Big Guy replacing Dion. A laid back Gentle Giant. Main color is red. Has the fastest top speed. Listens to rap.
- Tara is Black American, The Stoic newest recruit who doesn't show any emotions that would take away from her 'hip hop diva' style. Main color is orange/yellow. Has the best acceleration. Listens to hip hop.
- Genre Motif: All of the riders have a signature musical genre in the manual. However only rock, punk, and electronic are actually in the soundtrack. There's no real rap or hip hop.
- Ship Tease: Akari is interested in Ricky now that he's grown up from the first game. Rumor mill says they're together.