Learn something, experience somewhere, grow some more.
Mother 4 is a fan game in the Mother
series that is currently in production by Azure Studios. It started as a game made in RPG Maker, but was later moved to the Game Maker
engine, and then to its own custom made engine in C++. The game follows the adventures of a young boy named Travis and the leader of a biker gang named Leo, who get caught up in the events surrounding a group called the Modern Men. More information can be found here
. The game is slated for a Winter 2014 release. Oh, and that's winter at the end of 2014, not the beginning. Still, you have a nice, free
Christmas present this year.
This work contains examples of the following tropes:
- Art Evolution: Compare the early screenshot of Travis (formerly named Chase) on his porch◊ to this newer one◊.
- Book Worm: Meryl.
- The Bus Came Back: Apparently according to one of the battle scenes of the trailer shows Leo using PK Beam alpha. Meaning we may get to see previous battle elements from Mother 1 and 2 (Earthbound) like having three PSI users, as well as seeing the gamebreakingly sweet 4th-D Slip from Mother 1.
- Darker and Edgier: It's been stated that this game will be darker than Mother 3. And considering how dark that game was...
- Delinquents: Fitting of the games 'idealized' America setting, Leo and his biker gang are based off the 1950s version of this Trope, right down to the leather jackets and greaser style hair.
- Desperation Attack: A new element called the "Final Stand" feature will be used, causing a character's stats to dramatically increase while their health is rolling down toward zero. Similarly, when your psychic points are rolling down you can still use PSI for a cost as high as the number the meter indicates as it slowly decreases.
- Development Hell: Hey, it wouldn't be a MOTHER game without this. To give a good idea, the game started development around 2008-09, and didn't even get an estimated release date until 2013.
- Fan Sequel: Quite possibly one of the most promising ones on the internet. Not only does the overall style stay faithful to the Mother series as a whole (the sprites taking cue from Mother 3, but being set more in EarthBound and Mother 1's 'modern' urban setting), but even the music doesn't sound far off from something that would be made for an 'official' Mother game.
- In-Universe Game Clock: Time passes between day and night (if you so choose it) when staying in a hotel, with a number of different tasks and events available only at certain times of the day, or with specific character combinations.
- Leitmotif: As in Mother 3, every one has their own battle sound effects. Unlike the 3rd game, they have their own level up jingles as well. note
- Musical Nod: They've remixed the MOTHER title theme, "Humoresque of a Little Dog" (and called it "Dog Humor"), the hotel theme from MOTHER 2, and the Yado Hotel's theme from MOTHER 3. They've also combined and remixed "Battle Against a Dangerous Foe" (from MOTHER 1) and "Sanctuary Guardian" (from EarthBound). "Dog Humor" also contains a tiny nod to "Because I Love You" (AKA Fourside's theme) from EarthBound (which is really a nod to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl version of "Humoresque of a Little Dog.") And it probably doesn't stop there.
- Original Flavour: You'd swear it was an official MOTHER game if you didn't know it was made by fans. It's even apparent with the music. For example, "The Green Run" sounds just like the Onett theme, right down to the instrumentation, the beginning bass line, and the trumpet duets.
- Psychic Powers: But of course, seeing as it's an EarthBound / Mother fangame.
- Retraux: Shares the overall GBA design of Mother 3, with a few minor graphical updates. Averted with the music though, which uses a completely original sound font that sounds way more advanced than anything the GBA or SNES could do. (Outside of the below example, of course.)
- Sampling: One of the battle themes samples several sounds from EarthBound. Fittingly, the theme's name is "Battle Against a Familiar Foe".
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: One of Floyd's attacks is to bribe the enemy with money so they'll stop attacking them.
- Seer: Meryl can see into the future.
- Skyscraper City: They've stated that they have a Fourside equivalent.
- Slice of Life: Perhaps not to the extent of Persona 3 and 4, but emphasis is being placed on character relationships and interactivity with towns and cities beyond using them as a means to continue your adventure.
- Spoiled Sweet: Meryl.
- Stuck In Their Shadow: Travis is an In-Universe Subversion of this trope. It's stated he's caught in the comfortable shadow of his big brother Zack, but doesn't mind because he's never tried to be anything other than average.
- Variable Mix: Instead of a singular level up jingle like the other three Mother titles, every character will level up with their own leitmotif (Travis's is a retooled version of the original level up tune). These will seamlessly overlap with one another when two or more characters level simultaneously.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Meryl's sprites (at least so far) show her to have purple hair.