Video Game: Godzilla
Godzilla, as it is currently known, is a 2014 video game currently being developed by Namco Bandai, and the first Godzilla game since Godzilla: Unleashed was released 7 years earlier, assuming that one doesn't count the mobile games for Godzilla (2014). The game was originally developed for the Playstation 3, with a Playstation 4 port forthcoming. However, production of physical copies of the Playstation 3 version has ceased, and only the PS4 version is available for international preorder as of February 2015.note Tamashii Nations, the makers of the S.H. MonsterArts toyline, designed the character models for the monsters. The game was released in Japan in December 2014 and will be internationally released on July 1st, 2015.The simple story, much like the Millennium series, is a standalone follow-up to a variant of the original film. After the original Godzilla attack in 1954, Japan studied Godzilla's energy and turned this "G-Energy" into a new clean power source. 60 years later however, a second Godzilla, a 50 meter version of the Heisei Godzilla, has emerged, seeking to destroy G-Energy plants and grow larger and stronger, fighting the JSDF and the various monsters that have climbed out of the woodwork, culminating in a clash with a third Godzilla.In April 2015, it was announced that Japan would be getting a significant expansion pack for the game entitled Godzilla VS featuring online multiplayer and the ability to play as any monster in the game. Shortly afterwards, it was confirmed that the international release of the game will feature this additional content.
Monsters confirmed to appear
The first teaser can be seen here. The official site can be found here.
Tropes currently listed:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever:
- Heisei Godzilla will start off at 50 meters tall, and as the game progresses can grow upwards of 100 meters tall.
- Legendary Godzilla is set at 108 meters, towering over most other kaiju.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Mothra is an opponent in both her Larva and Imago forms.
- Boss Rush: King of the Monsters Mode.
- Breath Weapon: As usual, Godzilla will be wielding his atomic breath. Different forms of Godzilla's breath weapon are unlockable with different range and damage effects, including the Spiral Beam, the mistier breath of the 1954 and Showa films, and Minya's smoke rings. King Ghidorah's gravity bolts and Heisei Mechagodzilla's mega buster also qualify.
- Chainsaw Good: Gigan has his chainsaw hands from Final Wars.
- Cool Ship: The Gotengo/Atragon is one of the bosses (in its Godzilla Final Wars Neo Gotengo design), as are the Super-X, Super-X II and the Super-X III.
- Downloadable Content:
- While none has been announced, the developer has hinted at Super Kiryu, MUTO, Rodan, and Kumonga.
- Zone Fighter is another character they have hinted at and they even hinted at DLC stories like the Red Bamboo army from Godzilla vs The Sea Monster and even pick up on some events where the movies left off. Wonder what politician Glen is doing now days?
- Dual Boss: Sometimes you'll end up facing a monster and a warship at the same time. Biollante and the Super-X II are the most common matchup (though if you're on the hero or antihero path, the Super-X II will attack Biollante alongside Godzilla).
- Fighting Game: Many fans are hoping for the game to be this. Though those hopes were kiboshed when it was confirmed to be single-player only, the game will be getting an expansion that allows one to fight as any monster they want, bringing the game closer to the genre. The addition of online multiplayer appears to fully play this trope straight.
- Giant Foot of Stomping: One brief shot from the teaser shows Godzilla stepping on a tank.
- Humongous Mecha: All three Mechagodzillas and Jet Jaguar are appearing.
- Kaiju: It is a Godzilla game.
- Karma Meter: Godzilla can be played as a hero,note an anti-hero,note or a villain.note If you're a "hero", the human military will ignore you and focus their firepower on enemy kaiju. Cause too much destruction, and the humans will send out mechas to put an end to your rampage.
- Lethal Joke Item: Among the unlockable breath options are Minya's Smoke Rings, which do heavy damage and when combined with grappling, become one of the most effective ways to damage an opponent.
- Misbegotten Multiplayer Mode: The game was designed as a single-player, but the the PS4 version includes exclusive content to set it apart from the PS3 version, namely the addition of an online multiplayer mode with the ability to play as monsters other than Godzilla.
- More Dakka: The three Mechagodzilla are stuffed chock full of weapons, and Heisei and Kiryu even have shoulder cannons.
- Multiple Endings: Your endings are based on your actions in the game.
- Mythology Gag:
- The tutorial is a black-and-white rampage through 1954 Tokyo as Heisei Godzilla.
- Just like in Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, Godzilla can fly using his Atomic Breath and do his victory dance from Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.
- Godzilla 2014 is an extremely powerful melee fighter, but his Atomic Breath only has one charge, he can't use the Nuclear Pulse, and his radiation stores takes longer to replenish than Heisei Godzilla's. This is in keeping with the movie, where it was Cast from Hit Points and only used as a last resort.
- No Sell: Super Mechagodzilla is immune to Godzilla's breath weapon, and will use it to charge and fire his very powerful Plasma Grenade weapon. You'll have to resort to melee attacks to beat him.
- Out of the Inferno: One screenshot shows Heisei Godzilla staring down Legendary Godzilla, who is silhouetted by an explosion.
- Pre Explosion Buildup: It is confirmed Godzilla's nuclear pulse attack is one power.
- Regenerating Health: The first Godzilla game to fully utilize this. Your health automatically heals when you take damage. Just remeber that, unlike the movies, you're not invincible, and the damage you take can overwhelm your healing.
- Scenery Gorn: The teaser shows Godzilla doing what he does best: tearing a city apart, with detailed destruction and debris.
- Shoulder Cannon: Kiryu's appearance appears to be based off of his Tokyo S.O.S. appearance with shoulder cannons. Heisei Mechagodzilla is in its Super Mechagodzilla mode, with the Garuda warship attached to its back with its twin laser cannons slung over its shoulders.
- Shown Their Work: Hedorah takes little damage from most melee attacks, but is badly hurt by Godzilla's breath weapon, just like in the movie. Legendary Godzilla can even kill him with just two breath attacks.
- Spiritual Successor: The game itself appears to be a spiritual successor to the obscure Godzilla Dreamcast games, Godzilla Generations and Godzilla Generations: Maxium Impact in which there are alot of fixed camera angles while fighting hordes of JSDF and Super X's of the former and the fighting monsters of the latter, with none of the improbable jumping physics of the Atari games.
- When Trees Attack: Biollante once again appears in her second form.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: The final battle of the regular Single Player campaign has Legendary's Godzilla facing off against the Heisei Godzilla. However, with Godzilla having entered his Burning phase by this point, this ends up becoming a Curb-Stomp Battle some have criticized as being on par with the fight against Zilla in Godzilla Final Wars