of Callion is imperiled! The vile Hurks are massing to the south, and our swords are no match for their machine guns. Only with the scepters of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water can the wizard Elron repel the invasion. You, Saber
, have been tasked with recovering these mighty artifacts from the four corners of the world.
Released in 1984 on the fledgling Apple Macintosh
platform, Enchanted Scepters
was the first Adventure Game
to incorporate Point-and-Click
elements. It was also the first product of the World Builder engine, which was afterward sold separately as a Game Maker
This game contains examples of:
- Anachronism Stew — Wizards and robots, catapults and tommy guns, cavemen and dinosaurs...
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking — From the back of the box:
With actual recorded sounds for scenes, characters, and objects. Monsters roar, swords swoosh, crickets chirp
- Captured by Cannibals
- Convection Schmonvection
- Copy Protection — In a pirated copy, Saber will randomly be struck on the back of the head by a pirate and thrown in an arena to face a Tyrannosaurus rex.
The pirate laughs: Har, Har, Har!
- Damn You, Muscle Memory — Unlike most Interactive Fiction, you need to type Command-N, -S, -E, or -W to move. Unlike most Mac games, Command-S will therefore not save your position.
- Death Mountain
- Dem Bones
- Dismantled MacGuffin / Lost Superweapon — The scepters.
- Eenie, Meenie, Miny Moai
- Fanfare — Heralds the King and the scepters.
- Fan Sequel — Lost Crystal
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink
- Fantasy Gun Control — Averted.
- Fantasy World Map — In Elron's sanctum.
- Fed to the Beast — The player's punishment for violating the Copy Protection, as mentioned above.
- Four Element Ensemble — The four scepters and their corresponding demons.
- Get on the Boat — A canoe.
- God Save Us from the Queen! / Treacherous Quest Giver — The Queen of Atlantis.
You don't really think I'm going to give you my precious Scepter, do you? Robots, kill the surface dweller!
- Gotta Catch Them All / Plot Coupon — The scepters.
- G-Rated Drug — "Berries" and "powder". Take a little and they'll enhance your health; take a little more and they'll all but kill you.
- Harmless Freezing
- Heroic Fantasy
- Hollywood Voodoo
- Inventory Management Puzzle
- Lizard Folk
- Patchwork Map — A desert, a jungle, an ocean, a forest, a volcano, an Egyptian sphinx, a Mayan temple, and Easter Island heads... all within walking distance.
- Piranha Problem
- Regenerating Health
- Riddle Me This — Solve the Earth Demon's riddle and you don't have to fight him.
- Sadly Mythtaken — A cameo by "the goddess Osiris."
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud — An unusual variation. The narration "A huge tidal wave roars from the south" is accompanied by the sound of an animal roaring, followed by a splash.
- Scary Scorpions
- Schmuck Bait — "Set me free and I'll tell you the secret to defeating your enemies!"
- Shifting Sand Land
- Sliding Scale of Linearity vs. Openness — Level 5.
- Starter Equipment — A sword and a freeze spell.
- Temple of Doom — The Mayan pyramid temple is a Death Course, complete with Spikes Of Doom, Boulder of Doom, and Advancing Wall of Doom.
- Vaporware — The game's last words are "Try your luck with the next World Builder adventure, coming soon from Silicon Beach Software!" (Instead, they published the engine and let everyone else write the games.)
- Wizard Beard — Elron.