Video Game: Chex Quest
Doom actually does teach you how to eat cereal! At least according to General Mills.Chex Quest is a 1996 Game Mod for Doom, originally shipped in six million boxes of General Mills brand cereals. The game itself was notable for being the first CD game to be bundled in cereal boxes as a prize. The first game involves the Chex Warrior going down to a colonized planet invaded by a race of aliens called the Flemoids, on a mission to rescue the inhabitants.In 1997, Chex Quest 2 was released, but instead of being shipped with breakfast cereals, this time it was distributed exclusively on the Chex Quest website. Numerous fansites still distribute the game to this day.There was to be a Chex Quest 3 released shortly afterwards, but it was cancelled. However, in September 2008, more than a decade after Chex Quest 2's release, former Digital Cafe employees Charles Jacobi and Scott Holman got together, created a new five-map campaign, and released it for free.Chex Quest 3, which includes all three Chex Quests in one package, can be downloaded from Charles Jacobi's website. (Requires the ZDoom source port, or a derivative thereof.)
This game provides examples of:
- BFG: The LAZ (Large Area Zorcher) Device. Incidentally, given that every weapon is just a reskin of a Doom one, it is functionally identical to the Trope Namer, the BFG9000.
- Bloodless Carnage: Flemoids never "die" really, but rather your weapons send them back to their own dimension. Likewise, when you run out of health, you don't die, you merely get "slimed" (that is, the player character is no longer able to move).
- Developer's Room: There's a secret room in one of the levels (E1M2) that has photos of the dev team on the walls.
- Excuse Plot: Goo aliens are invading this mining planet. Go zap them back to their own dimension and save the hostages. That's it.
- The Federation: the multi-cereal species organization that sends the Chex Warrior to fight the Flemoids.
- Fighting for a Homeland: In Chex Quest 2, the Flemoids have invaded Chex Warrior's home planet.
- Ditto in Chex Quest 3, but on a larger scale.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Glasses of water (1%), bowls of fruit (10%)/vegetables (25%) and the supercharge breakfast (100%) all restore your health, de-sliming you instantly. Water and breakfast can also go over the 100% limit, up to 200%, just like their Doom counterparts (health bonus/soul sphere).
- Immune to Bullets: Conventional weapons seem to have no effect on Flemoids, as told in the opening cinematic.
- Improbable Weapon User: The Chex Warrior carries around a "bootspoon", which is, you guessed it, a spoon. It can be upgraded to a "Super Boot Spork", an equivalent to Doom's chainsaw.
- Large Ham: The Chex Warrior.
- Nostalgia Level: Chex Quest 3 has you exploring the space station from the first game's opening cinematic, including the conference room.
- Shout-Out: Several posters in the theater (Chex Quest 2) reference movies such as Jaws and Indiana Jones.
- Teleport Gun: Chex Warrior's Weapon of Choice.