Video Game: Blue Stinger
Blue Stinger is a Survival Horror game by Climax Graphics released for the Sega Dreamcast in 1999. An island is discovered in the year 2000 off the coast of Mexico, where it is thought that the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs had struck. Named Dinosaur Island, the site is mined for the next 18 years, until a second object impacts the island and causes an energy barrier to form around it, sealing it off from the outside world.Eliot Ballade, a police officer on vacation, is trapped inside the barrier as horrific monsters begin to appear. Ballade must work to find a way out, along with a boat captain named Dogs Bower, a computer expert named Janine King, and a strange water spirit known as Nephilim.As with Over Blood and Galerians, there's a good chance you know of this game from Game Informer's Super Replay.
This work contains examples of:
- Body Horror: Most of the enemies appear to have mutated from the island personnel. Eliot also begins to mutate at one point, although you manage to cure him.
- Dungeon Town
- An Economy Is You
- Gainax Ending After Dogs and Elliot save the world from the final boss it shows another Meteor identical to the one that held the boss monster inside it that was defeated surrounded by a ring of the blue creatures before the meteor launches off to get a headstart to another planet before one of the multiple stingers goes after it
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Dogs can equip shirts that teach him martial arts.
- Hyperactive Metabolism
- Eldritch Abomination: Jascony, the final boss. To sum it, up the meteorite that crashed onto Earth and caused the extinction of dinosaurs was actually an egg. An egg that took 65 million years to mature. Then it took 18 years to hatch, the final stage of the eclosion occurring right as you're near it, letting you face a humungous, Godzilla-esque monstrosity. Which was also absurdly vulnerable to your rocket launcher.
- Late to the Tragedy
- Money Spider
- Organic Technology: Robotic fish are somehow vulnerable to poison. Hm...
- Product Placement: For Pen Pen Triicelon, another obscure Dreamcast game.
- Stealth Pun: In order to get into the Hello Market, you need a Hello Card. Also known as a greeting card.
- Timed Mission: You have 42 minutes to get the dying man his medication. And 30 minutes to keep Eliot from mutating into a monster.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future