Tropers / Max Damage
Greetings, fine sir/madam! It seems that, through following this link, you have landed on the "trope" page for yours truly, Max Damage (not my real name; a fine example of wordplay, though! I love puns
). I consider myself to be something of an intellectual, as I use impeccable spelling and grammar even in the dingiest of places online, and have repeatedly both awed and confused my peers with my incredibly diverse vocabulary and masterful command of the English language. I am also currently learning Latin and Japanese, as I intend to one day move to Japan. It has been my lifelong dream, as ever since I watched my first Studio Ghibli
film (they are FILMS, not "movies"), I have realized that Japanese culture is far superior to our own debased and impolite culture. I love anime and video games, and am confident that, in the distant future, names like Hideaki Anno
, Hayao Miyazaki
, and Hideo Kojima
will be spoken with the same reverence as Goethe or Shakespeare (two Western authors who I particularly adore). I am also known for being a positively masterful Deadpan Snarker
, and have been known to end online debates quickly with but a single cutting remark. Woe betide the 4chan troll or religious fundamentalist who enters into a verbal sparring match with me
. You can be sure they will not come out unscathed.
Don't be intimidated though! I'm a Nice Guy
, first and foremost, and am known for being friendly and polite with everyone I come in contact with, even those who I consider to be particularly uncouth.
Some of my favorite works and creators include:
Tropes applying to me! (There are many, I assure you)
- Badass Beard
- Berserk Button: Mistreating or insulting women, online or in real life, is a good way to earn my wrath.
- Beware the Nice Ones: I'm a Nice Guy extraordinaire, but if you press my Berserk Button, I can assure you that pain is ahead.
- Born in the Wrong Century: I often think I was meant to be an 18th century European aristocrat but was sent to the 21st century by accident. I wear old fashioned clothes and have a very formal manner of speaking compared to those around me.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: I probably could have gotten into Harvard if I wasn't too busy daydreaming in class.
- Celibate Hero: Not by choice though. Most girls are just too afraid to talk to me, I suppose.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: My intelligence sometimes leads to others perceiving me this way, though the truth is that I'm just so higher than them intellectually that to them my words and thoughts are pure gibberish. Alas, it can't be avoided when dealing with cretins.
- Cultured Badass: How many others can claim to be aficionados of classical music, 14th century Japanese literature, and classic anime films who are also capable of ending a debate with but a single snarky comment?
- Deadpan Snarker: My wit is sharper than any blade.
- Fedora of Asskicking
- Foreign Culture Fetish: I have one for Japan, I suppose. I would never stoop so low as to fetishize their culture or treat it with anything less than the utmost respect, however. I'm not a philistine.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: I aspire to be one, at least, assuming I'm not there already.
- Manipulative Bastard: When I'm angered, my deep understanding of human psychology allows me to play my enemies like puppets. I only use this power for good, though. Promise.
- Nice Hat: My trilby. I wear it everywhere, and have received several compliments from women on how handsome it makes me.
- Nice Guy: My defining quality.
- Sharp Dressed Man: I'm rarely seen in anything less than the finest clothing I can afford.