Long-time lurker, relatively newbie contributor. Tends to hang out on the Discworld
pages a lot, as well as, recently, That Guy with the Glasses
and whatever play she's currently in. Her hobbies include getting away with wearing ridiculous clothes, making up crazy theories, finding homoerotic and/or kinky subtext everywhere, spending too much time on the Internet, genderbending, and abusing compound sentences. In case you hadn't gathered from the name, Iambic is an incurable Shakespeare freak.
Lives in Staunton, Virginia, where it is actually possible to go somewhere uphill both ways, in a house full of graduate students, theatre nerds, and an incredibly spastic cat. Her current favorite mad theory is that she is living in a fanfiction of her own life, which explains the frequent and random changes in genre
Iambic has adopted the Theory of Narrative Causality
as her sort-of religion and has dedicated her life to being as meta as humanly possible
. So of course
she tropes herself (and her friends) relentlessly. Tropes include:
- Attractive Bent-Gender - in boy-mode she's been compared, variously, to Alan Rickman, Johnny Depp, Antonio Banderas, and Brad Pitt. And Jude Law, recently. Even though none of them look much, if anything, alike (and even though in girl-mode she looks nothing like any of them). It's weird.
- Bald Women - with aspirations to Bald of Awesome
- Berserk Button - Go ahead, tell her someone else wrote Shakespeare's plays. Or mention naturalism at all. We dare you.
- Bi the Way
- Bokukko - on the rare occasions she attempts to say anything in Japanese
- Break the Cutie - has been subject to a fair bit of it, but she's recovering now.
- Cloud Cuckoolander - a good deal of the time.
- Deadpan Snarker - the rest of time. Sometimes they overlap.
- Embarrassing Middle Name
- Four Girl Ensemble - she was part of one for half of college, until the first big genre shift.
- Geeky Turn-On
- Gentle Giant - as close to six feet as makes no difference and surprisingly strong. Also quite friendly and nonconfrontational to a fault.
- Huge Schoolgirl - used to be one, growing up. See above.
- Ho Yay/Ship Tease - with most of her close friends
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Neutral Good
- Nice Guy (except maybe less with the "well-adjusted" bit)
- Pardon Me Stewardess, I Speak Iambic Pentameter - often by accident
- Pungeon Master
- Screw Yourself - if only it were possible.
- Spoony Bard - she has moments of massive badassery, but only when it has to do with theatre.
- Too Kinky To Freak Out
- Wholesome Crossdresser - on occasion. Being gender-fluid will do that.
- Woman in White - invokes this trope frequently and deliberately.