- Actor Allusion: As Bond bids farewell to Nurse Fearing, he says "Another time, another place", the name of another movie Sean Connery had starred in around the time.
- Enforced Method Acting: Sean Connery and the sharks in Largo's pool. The clear plastic panels that shielded Sean Connery from the sharks could only extended about three feet in height and sharks could swim over them. Some sharks did and Sean Connery was genuinely terrified. Guess what scenes the director used in the film?
- Executive Meddling:
- A justified example, with the decision to change Largo's death from a gruesome harpoon through the neck, to a relatively more tame but more dramatic harpoon through the back.
- The producers deciding at the last moment to require the theme song to have the word "Thunderball" in it, necessitating some quick rerecording and quick rescoring to fit the new song in.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: André Maranne, best known as Sergeant François Chevalier in the Pink Panther movies, cameos as SPECTRE #10.
- The Other Darrin: Felix Leiter is recast yet again, this time with Rik Van Nutter, apparently doing his best Jack Lord impression. Possibly happened with the voice of Blofeld as well, as various sources claim that Joseph Wiseman (the titular Dr. No) took over the role from previous actor Eric Pohlmann in this film, while yet others say that it was still Pohlmann.
- Same Language Dub: Both Adolfo Celi and Claudine Auger were dubbed over.
- What Could Have Been:
- Johnny Cash recorded his own version of the theme song.
- It was originally thought that the title would be too awkward to work into a song, so instead Barry and lyricist Leslie Bricusse wrote one for Dionne Warwick called "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang." This is why the club Bond runs into to escape Fiona's goons is called The Kiss Kiss Club.
- Alfred Hitchcock briefly considered directing the film.
- Rik Van Nutter had a contract to appear as Felix Leiter in the next several Bond films, but they couldn't figure a way to work the character into either of the next two.
- You Look Familiar: Martine Beswick previously played a Gypsy girl in From Russia with Love.
- What Could Have Been: Kevin McClory planned to have a third adaptation of the book made for 1995.