Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenaged Blockhead
is a 2004 play by Bert V. Royal. A darker and edgier
take on the Peanuts
universe, the show starts
with the death of Snoopy and Woodstock, and somehow only manages to get more depressing from there. Due to copyright and trademark issues, none of the characters go by their official Peanuts-verse names.
The main characters are:
- C.B.: Charlie Brown. Probably the most well-adjusted character (until the plot happens).
- C.B.'s Sister: Sally
- Van: Linus gone pothead. When C.B. and Van's sister burnt his security blanket, his response was to mix it with weed and smoke it.
- Matt: Pig-Pen. In the years since Peanuts, he's turned into a germaphobe and a homophobe.
- Beethoven: Schroeder
- Marcy: Marcie
- Tricia: Peppermint Patty
- Van's Sister: Lucy
- Abusive Parents
- Adaptational Villainy: Pig-Pen, the lovable mess, becomes Matt, the germo- and homophobic jock.
- Adults Are Useless: Lampshaded, specifically the traditional muffled-trumpet Peanuts voices.
- Affectionate Parody: Just about every single cliché from various earlier "Darker and Edgier" parodies of the comic show up here in some form, from Snoopy getting rabies to Peppermint Patty and Marcie having a huge lesbian subtext going on, and everyone is generally foul-mouthed, drug-abusing and sex-obsessed — but despite all this, the comic's ideals and themes are upheld and honored (if stretched a little), and the final scene, with the letter from C.S. (aka Charles Schulz) is full of heartfelt words of encouragement to C. B., telling him that he is a good man when all is said and done... and, depending on your interpetation, that his friend, dog and bird are happy in the afterlife.
- Arc Words: "Find an identity."
- Berserk Button: NEVER call Matt 'Pigpen' Beethoven makes this mistake at the end of the play, and his life.
- Black Comedy
- Break the Cutie
- Butt Monkey: C.B., obviously.
- Bury Your Gays: Alas, Beethoven! We hardly knew ye!
- Catch Phrase: Most of those in Peanuts are lampshaded.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Van's Sister is in an insane asylum for setting the little red-haired girl's hair on fire.
- Coming-Out Story: For Beethoven and C.B.
- Cloudcuckoolander: C.B.'s sister. Three words: "Cocooning into Playtypus."
- Van also fits the mold pretty well.
- Crapsack World
- Darker and Edgier
- Driven to Suicide: Beethoven
- Dumbass Has a Point: Ditzy Tricia is the one to point out the fact that Matt has a homoerotic obsession with C.B. She even lampshades it: "I'm the dumb one and I figured it out."
- Erudite Stoner
- Fingore: When Matt breaks all of Beethoven's fingers over his piano.
- Forceful Kiss
- Full-Name Basis: Averted: even though C.B. is Charlie Brown, he is never called by his full name. Though his sister does refer to him as "Charles", and Van "Chuck B."
- Only one production used his full name at any point in the production and they were sued because of it.
- Fun With Palindromes: The title, minus the subtitle — "Dog Sees God".
- Girliness Upgrade: In-universe, of a sort. Rough and tumble tomboy Peppermint Patty has grown up to be ditzy party girl Tricia.
- Incompatible Orientation
- Ironic Echo: "I can't keep up with you. Find an identity!" The first time said out of frustration from CB to his sister, who has a new obsession every week. The second time, said half-mockingly, half-lovingly from CB's sister to CB, remarking on his sudden coming out.
- Jerkass: Matt.
- Karma Houdini: Matt.
- Kill the Cutie: Beethoven.
- Killed Off for Real: Snoopy, Woodstock and Beethoven
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "Do you ever feel like you're not a real person? That you're the product of someone's imagination and you can't think for yourself because you're really just like some creation and that somewhere there's people laughing every time you fall?"
- Mushroom Samba
- Never My Fault
- Ordinary High-School Student: C.B.
- Shout-Out: To Peanuts, obviously.
- Straight Gay
- Their First Time
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Matt's compulsive cleanliness.
- Writing Around Trademarks
- Yandere: Matt is implied to be a closet one for CB.