Meet RJ Berger. He has a big schlong
. Goodnight everybody!
Oh, you want more info? Alright then. RJ Berger is your typical Hollywood Nerd
. Nature made him scrawny and weird looking, awkward and pale. He's horrible at sports, and even worse at talking to girls. His parents are embarrassing, and he's got more pairs of glasses than friends. Except for one thing: His sexual organ is huge. Hilarity Ensues
The first season follows RJ and his friends Miles Jenner
and Lily Miran
living high school while dealing with people like Max Owens
. It's been stated many times that RJ is going to try and use his "gift" to change his lifestyle, but really, all he seems to want is a chance with Jenny Swanson
The second season continues on, with RJ and Jenny as an Official Couple
, trying to make the relationship work despite several hindrances. All the while RJ is trying to deal with his parents' divorce, his mom dating his coach, and the new hot tutor he's been given that's starting to drive a wedge between him and Jenny.
The third season would've followed RJ dealing with Lily's pregnancy
and Max keeping his own little secret under wraps. But, as confirmed by the creator via Twitter, the series was canceled.
This Live Action TV Show provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Lily.
- Adorkable: RJ. Just RJ. Apparently, his large (and still growing) female fanbase thinks so too.
- Alpha Bitch: Averted with Jenny. Robin plays this straight.
- Lily plays this straight for a while when she gets her settlement, although by the end of the episode she averts it.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: RJ's are probably the most over the top example ever, taking it to near abusive levels. In just one example, his mother shouts encouragement to him as he makes out with Jenny Swanson - and then ENTERS THE ROOM to help him remove Jenny's bra.
- Analogy Backfire: When RJ and Jenny are running for Mr. and Mrs. Pinkleton, RJ at once appeals to the student body by speaking to those those who don't have "perfect teeth and perfect skin". Throughout the whole series only one of the main characters gets acne and she's one of the popular kids. The whole cast has perfect teeth.
- Animesque: So far, most of the art found in the series is like this.
- Armored Closet Gay: Max, as of the Season 2 finale.
- Ashes to Crashes: In the Season 2 premiere, RJ gets Kevin's ashes blown right into his face.
- Betty and Veronica: Jenny (Archie) between RJ (Betty) and Max (Veronica). RJ (Archie) between Lily (Betty) and Jenny (Veronica) is a rare example of the Veronica being much more likeable than the Betty.
- A better example of a Betty is Clair, who RJ shows some interest in and who is also much better pick than Lily.
- Now, we have Amy as Betty and Jenny as Veronica.
- Biggus Dickus / Gag Penis: Pretty much the point of the entire show.
- Bilingual Bonus: Most likely unintentional. Just try learning Spanish, and see a show where the main character has a Biggus Dickus and it's called Berger.
- Bromantic Foil: Miles to RJ.
- Butterface: Lily. Miles lampshades this when he described her as a combination of "Bettie Page and a woodchuck."
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : At the end of the second season finale, Lily reveals that she's pregnant with RJ's baby, resulting from the first and only time they ever had sex together.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: The result of the opening scene.
- The Cheerleader: Jenny, though the usual character type is averted. Robin Pretnar is a straight example.
- Cursed with Awesome: RJ considers his penis to be this at first.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: It's the opening scene. See Caught with Your Pants Down.
- Dawson Casting: Everyone. Kudos to Jenny being played by a 30-year-old. Miles is being played by a 32 year-old.
- Death by Sex: Possibly Lily in the season finale.
- Averted in the Season 2 Premiere.
- Double Entendre: The dinner RJ has with his parents and their friends in the pilot is filled with this.
- Freudian Slip: "I'd love to study you. Study with you."
- It's tit o' clock — uh, two o' clock.
- Gang Bangers: Hamilton and his gang
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: It's MTV, so the radar is screening a lot less, but all the same, seems like whoever approved Amy's comment that "I haven't had this much fun since I found out what the shocker was" probably didn't actually know what the shocker is.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Sprinkled around the pilot episode.
- Hollywood Nerd: You'd think this would be the case in a show like this, but RJ, Miles, and Lily all come across as very realistic nerds and they're far from Hollywood Homely too.
- Amy, who is perfectly attractive.
- This is awkwardly brought into light in an episode where Jenny has a particularly nasty breakout. RJ and Miles attempt to tell her that acne isn't a huge problem, since they all have "horrible" acne, and Robin and Miles both tell her that RJ must be "rubbing off on her." But because of this trope and Hollywood makeup, neither RJ or Miles have a single pimple.
- Ironically, by the end of the second season, Jenny is the only virgin in the group.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When Jenny and Max break up and despite the fact he had a good chance with her, RJ tells Jenny that Max didn't cheat on her rather than take advantage of the situation.
- Jerkass: Coach Sinclair. He purposely made it look like Max cheated on Jenny so he would play basketball better.
- Jerk Jock: Max, though it's more Played for Laughs than played straight.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jenny. Amy.
- Mushroom Samba: The Lock-In
- Marijuana Is LSD: See above - The Biscotti was laced with "Acapulco Gold".
- Nerds Are Sexy: Despite RJ being portrayed as a very realistic nerd, he continues to have a large fanbase among the female population.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Miles, to tragic effect.
- School Play: Vamp Side Story
- Shout Out: Mrs. Robbins, a friend of RJ's parents and middle-aged woman, lures RJ into her bedroom in an attempt to seduce him. This sounds strangely familiar...
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Miles and Lily, although it was because both of them were drunk.
- Spoiled Sweet: Jenny.
- Straight Gay: Max. Also counts as Flying Under the Gaydar.
- Sudden Downer Ending: The final episode to season 1 is much more dramatic compared to the previous episodes. The opening scene takes place shortly after Lily has been hit by a bus, and the rest of the episode has RJ blaming himself for it.
- Tempting Fate: "At least he's still got his jockstrap o—" In comes the plot.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The sneak preview for episode 7 of season 2 (the Weezer episode) shows Amy kissing RJ, which is literally the last 5 seconds of the episode.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Max. Not only does RJ tell Jenny the truth when the coach framed him for cheating on Jenny he saves him from being the victim of a hit from the Gang Bangers or so he thought, yet Max STILL acts like a Jerkass to him. Although, this is more to play the Jerk Jock trope straight.
- Double Subverted in the second season finale - Max thanks RJ for not revealing he's gay to the student body, but says that it doesn't mean he won't still mess with RJ.
- What Does She See in Him?: Jenny and Max. Sure he's the good looking Big Man on Campus and he at least tries to be nice in front of her but there are still many moments where he acts like a big Jerkass to her.
- Woman Scorned: Lily initially in the second season was this towards RJ, and tries numerous times to sabotage him and Jenny. She moves on eventually.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Happens to RJ (and to a lesser extent, Miles) pretty frequently, and he lampshades this.