Ruined Forever: Video Games General
aka: Video Games-General
- Video games in general have been absolutely ruined by the newest generations actually trying to expand the market.
- Particularly "Dumbing down" the games by making them more something that people would play (read, can play without degrees in statistics and software engineering).
- They have also been "Dumbing down" every game ever by removing obstacles.
- This happens with literally every main shift in demographic, or with every new demographic that entered the market.
- Every game that has been rendered in three dimensions has Ruined video gaming FOREVER.
- Gaming has been ruined for decades... it was dead on arrival at the Arcades, because all sorts of faux gamers who didn't have access to the restricted computers in universities got to play video games.
- Further, many PC elitists shout this whenever any multiplatform game doesn't actively and deliberately make the console version horrible. Any developer who doesn't try at every opportunity to screw the console market is clearly a console peon who can't make any games with depth, and gaming is therefore ruined FOREVER.
- The Atari, Intellivision, and Colecovision were going to ruin games forever because they weren't that different from each other and all their games were stagnant. It turns out that was one of the lesser things that caused The Great Video Game Crash of 1983.
- The NES and the Sega Master System (as well as other competing systems like the MSX) ruined the market because they had all sorts of "Kiddie nonsense" and they censored everything.
- Nevermind that the lack of censorship is why games like Custer's Revenge and Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em were allowed to be on the market - oh wait, it's censored so it sucks.
- Then the Sega Genesis, SNES, and better computer technology were going to ruin gaming forever because they didn't even bother to care about gameplay at all. They only cared about "Blast processing" and "Faux 3D Graphics", and now it brought about all sorts of kids who never even knew what Pac-Man was until it received its 95th port to the SNES or Genesis. Therefore they were not "real gamers". It seems a lot of them don't acknowledge how simply having more buttons on the SNES and Genesis, as well as the keyboard and mouse made it way more complex than the "dumbed down" messes some of these people complained them to be.
- Then the next generation brought about even more faux gamers who were just graphics whores, and now being catered to their desires. Now everything had to be like Final Fantasy VII, because that was the cool thing to do - those guys (and girls, who we all know were just there for the JPRG soap opera drama and to fawn over the Bishōnen heroes that reminded them of their beloved Boy Band members) weren't real gamers. Then the RPG backlash started to wear off because now everyone started to view them as fandumbs full of fanboys, and gaming was further ruined because they brought about even more gamers who joined at this generation, and systems like the Playstation brought about all sorts of MTV-style Faux Gamers. Oh, and the games were all in 3D too, and we all know what that does to video games, don't we?
- The PlayStation 2 was also going to ruin gaming forever because it had all sorts of stuff like a DVD player and people had bought it because it was cheaper than the current DVD players on the market. Dear god - NOW WE HAVE PEOPLE BUYING VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS TO NOT PLAY VIDEO GAMES ON THEM!! It's Ruined FOREVER!
- Then the Xbox ruined gaming forever by not only trying to be more PC like, but also bringing in even more MTV-style-Faux-Gamers. Now the shooters are full of faux gamers who are nothing but hot air and testosterone, while the RPGs are nothing but faux gamers who play it to masturbate at the feminine emo character models (once more, ignore how many shooter fans don't even touch multiplayer or RPG fans never even thought of masturbating to their games).
- Considering it was their initial business strategy, one wonders where the hell these G4rians were sleeping the past decade or so.
- Nintendo has been ruined forever more times than anyone can count. People chastised Nintendo for not having the GameCube, Wii, and Wii U being made with a DVD player and demand that they have it because the other consoles have it. Since it was announced that the Wii U won't have the ability to play DVD movies, now the console's ruined and not worth getting.
- As we are already talking about Nintendo: Their portable consoles pretty much were ruined FOREVER each time they were released/announced:
- The Game Boy was all wrong: "only 4 shades of gray?". "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone." (As it turned out, the better battery time was nice-to-have for portables and for a long time it ruled the market.)
- Consider the Game Boy's only competition; the Sega Game Gear and Atari Lynx. Both fixed the Game Boy's "flaws", backlit screens in full color, but they failed to pose a serious threat to the Game Boy due to their short battery life, lack of portability, higher retail price, and lack of decent third-party support.
- The Virtual Boy was all wrong. "A portable console with 3D and a half-helmet you have to wear? in red/black?". It didn't ruin portable gaming (as it wasn't really portable...) but the low game support and compatibility might have ruined that system.
- The Game Boy Pocket was all wrong: "A new link port? You want me to update all my link equipment?" " Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The Game Boy Color was all wrong: "Why add color? Four shades of gray were perfect!" (which is ironic, considering the original Game Boy comment) "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The Game Boy Advance was all wrong: "The screen in the middle of the buttons?", "the new cartridges are so small / the old cartridges stick out so much", "my old games either need to be stretched and blurred or only use half of the screen!" "no backlight!" "They want me to pay for my SNES games, again!" "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The Advance SP was all wrong: "the screen not in the middle of the buttons?", "I can't exchange the batteries", "the colors are so washed", "What did you do to my headphones port?" "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The Micro was all wrong: "The screen in the middle of the buttons?", "I cannot play my 10-year-old-games any more" (which - in turn - fixed the "sticking out"-problem of the old Game Boy Advances). "I cannot use my old cables any more!" "It's much too small!" "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The Nintendo DS was all wrong: "Why would I want two screens?" "This touchscreen will ruin portable gaming forever!" "Cue stupid minigames for the touchscreen and every mouse-supported-game ever to be poorly ported to the DS" "I cannot play my old Game Boy games, any more!", "I cannot link my GBA games any more", "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone" (Ironically, even Nintendo thought that the DS might ruin the "Game Boy"-name FOREVER and decided not to call it the "Game Boy DS".)
- The DS Lite was all wrong: "Now my GBA games nastily stick out of the Slot2!", "it's much too small!", "My GBASP charging cable doesn't fit anymore!", "All those case colors are completely unnecessary!" "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The DSi was all wrong: "Region locking? I will never touch a Nintendo system again!", "Downloadable games? I like my games as physical cartridges!" "A portable console doesn't need camera" ".. doesn't need two cams" "The resolution is much too low!" "no mp3 support!" "People might share nasty photos with it" "I cannot import other photos to view on it", "I cannot play old GBA games any more!" "A new charging cable? again?" "Now, they are gonna drop all regular DS support!" (turns out that hardly any DSi-only-games appeared) "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The DSi XL was all wrong: "This thing weighs a ton!" "Nice toaster but why would I wanna play on that?" "It's too large!" "It's the same resolution, it's just more pixelated!" plus everything else from DSi "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The Nintendo 3DS is ruining portable gaming FOREVER for everyone: "I cannot really play my DS games on the screen - either it's blurred or only uses parts of the screen" "What game might every reasonable use this stupid 3D?" "All those 3D-calculations bring down the battery in no time!", "You can't really share anything with that friend code system!", "Everything's going into the wireless - what a crap!" "There are no really good launch titles" "Almost every game is a remake, so we're paying $250 to play the same old games we played over a decade ago on our N64!" "It lacks a second Circle Pad" "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- Continuing the tradition is the 3DS XL, retaining the same complaints that the aforementioned DSi XL and the 3DS received: "It's too large!" "The screen quality for the DS games will be bloated on that huge screen" "It's the same resolution, it's just more pixelated" "No second Circle Pad" "Another Nintendo tradition of pointless hardware 'updates' " "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- The 2DS was all wrong: "It has no 3D effects!" "No wonder I can't bring characters/effects from the screen on my 3DS games" "My 3DS can disable 3D effects" "It can't fold to my pocket" "It's just a tablet with two screens and buttons" "I have to put this thing to rest with a switch? No way!" "Only one speaker? My game's music won't be heard in good quality at gameplay" "Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining portable gaming for everyone."
- However, as it seems, totally ruining portable gaming FOREVER made Nintendo a lot of money and very good sales numbers...
- As for the PC gamers? The jump from DOS to more Plug-and-play-style games ruined gaming forever because now people didn't need to navigate the clunky interface of DOS.
- Then the consoles ruined gaming forever because they committed the sin of making money.
- Downloadable Content deserves a mention, as now all games will be released incomplete.
- Which, while it can be considered a legitimate complaint that DLC often is used to finish content that was intended to be in the game but cut for time, budget, or other issues, largely seems to ignore the fact that prior to DLC, games were still being released incomplete; the only difference being, once they were out the door, you would never see the cut material without a massive fan-effort to bring it back (ex: Knights of the Old Republic II)
- In Spain, this is the reaction you get when you announce a game will be released on English (Instead of being translated to Spanish). Nevermind that until halfway the fifth generation video game translations weren't commonplace (for example, Ocarina of Time came untranslated; nobody insults it, despite the translation existing, just not being inserted into the game), most countries never get translations anyway, nowadays most games DO get translated, and those that don't are minor cult games (such as Disgaea or The World Ends with You) where it would cost more to translate them than whatever they would get from the few extra sales they might get from releasing them in Spanish, Spain has and a higher percentage of "casual" gamers (Not deriding them, just saying there's a smaller than usual percent of people who buys the games in question). Nope, they're doing this just to screw with Spaniards. Of course, when the game gets translated but it's a sloppy translation, no one says a thing, except Final Fantasy VII and its "Blind Idiot" Translation on top of the English "Blind Idiot" Translation. Double Standard much?
- Given that Spanish translators are now much more capable to actually do a good localization, this is hardly an excuse now.
- Part of the problem is that learning English as a second language is not as common in Spain as in most other European countries.
- Game Maker has announced a new logo for version 8, chosen from contest entries. It looks like the Awesome Smiley. People are now threatening to boycott the new version.
- Notably, two weeks later, they caved into complaints and chose a different logo. RUINED FOR 12 DAYS!
- Motion controls are THE DEATH OF GAMING FOREVER. Because there have totally been no good games since the Wii came out years ago, sometimes (GASP) even on said system! And don't even get started on PS Move and Kinect! Clearly, hardcore gaming is dead.
- GASP! The 3DS is region locked? WORST. HANDHELD. EVER!
- The Wii U predictably received these reactions: WHAT THE HELL? THAT CONTROLLER IS HUGE! IT WILL BE UNCOMFORTABLE TO HOLD!; A TOUCHSCREEN!? MORE USELESS GIMMICKS!; THIS CONSOLE WON'T BE POWERFUL ENOUGH! HOW CAN IT STAY ON THE MARKET? It seemed to get better when people started seeming happy about it at E3 2012, after it announced many great launch titles. Except for Nintendo Land.
- Capcom seems to be earning this kind of scorn of late, with some going as far to christen the company as the Japanese Activision. This image sums it all up quite well.◊
- Playstation Vita still requires Memory Cards to play its games because has no internal memory, the PSP Memory Sticks can't be used, and some games *gasp* might not even work without one! RUINED FOREVER!!!!
- Also the announcement that the 3G provider would be AT&T.
- Patching has ruined consoles forever! Never mind that they can fix problems that might not have surfaced until after release. Remember when every game was 100% bug free before patching was possible? Yeah, that never happened.