Roleplay / Expeditions
is the sequel to A New Age
hosted, once more, by Renagade
and takes place 22 years after the events of A New Age. Vincent Dershire
has spent 20 years of his life in Ambition City
and is fed up with living there, with his Adventurer's Guild on the decline and his failed attempts at delving into the Labyrinth. That is, until, one day, a group from the town's infamous and once thought eliminated Syndicate appears at his doorstep with the Herald's Journal. A book and charter that details the journeys of one Nicolas Herald, who led the original expeditions and settling of the continent of Revana Te Ra almost 1700 years prior. The book details the civilization of the Revanans and alludes to advanced and long forgotten technology, medicines, magic, and so on.
With this legendary find in hand. Vincent immediately sets to the task of bringing together an Expedition force to travel to Revana Te Ra and uncover its secrets. His Expedition, of which the PCs are a part of, is now tasked with facing down dangerous Pirates
, barbaric Remnants, forsaken jungles, and savage dinosaurs, all while attempted to uncover the secrets of Revana Te Ra and discover the nation's rise and downfall.
Was ended prematurely after five sessions due to lack of real interest in the game thanks to Ren's sudden inspiration to run Eurreach
. And every player also wanting to play that instead of continuing Expeditions.
Expeditions contains examples of...
- Armies Are Evil: Defied by Vincent, who refuses to even call his expedition an army or even a military force. Yes, they're all very well armed, but the continent is also very dangerous. The entire party also agrees that waging open war with the Remnants is generally a bad idea.
- Avengers, Assemble!: The first half of Maiden Voyage consists of Anna going to various places around Xeria to gather up the Player Characters.
- Badass Crew: Practically the point of Vincent hiring on the party.
- Bash Brothers: Tsukiko and Jun.
- Boring, but Practical: The Swivel Guns on the Dragon Chaser. 4D6 Damage. Awesome range. But all you'd be able to use for the round and limited to where the boat is during grid combat. And practically all the PCs can effectively use to damage other ships in naval combat.
- The Cameo: Eliza, Iria, Trieze, Sny, and Mickey from A New Age were all present to see off the maiden voyage of the Dragon Chaser.
- Continuity Nod
- Eliza doesn't miss her chance to refer to SethXVincent one last time.
- Vincent's Dossier for Arthur also mentions that Vincent doesn't want to be on the receiving end of another one of Eliza's Stinkbombs.
- Conlang: Revanan, Ren is going all out in making this as realistic a language as possible.
- Cool Ship: The Dragon Chaser Mk. II. It's figurehead is shaped to look like a red dragon and even shoots gouts of fire! Also it flies. Supposedly.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Maiden Voyage, The Party incapacitated the 2 pirate ships in 2 rounds. In 12 seconds they made it so that 2 frigate class ships were either sinking or unable to move due to wrecked masts.
- Death Course: Ender's Point, by design, as it's Revanan name, Proz Gar, literally means "Proving Grounds" in common.
- Easing into the Adventure: Not so bad as A New Age, but each PC got an introductory map and scene along with the Dragon Chaser, which then set off with Tsukiko at the helm. It was roughly six hours in game before serious combat happened.
- Epic Fail: Lyon, Tsukiko's Player, fell asleep during Maiden Voyage. To be fair though, he did just return from a long and stressful day at work. Still, the rest of the group was too busy laughing to really be mad at him for falling asleep.
- Hungry Jungle: The setting in and around Northarbor. Going into the jungle literally immediately nets you a random encounter.
- Leeroy Jenkins: It's a D&D party, expect lots of this.
- The moment the Dragon Chaser got close enough to a pirate ship in Maiden Voyage. Both Tsukiko and Arthur jumped on board to ship to take on the crew. While the ship was still moving and functional. And it worked.
- Meaningful Name: Revana Te Ra means "Land of the Ancients."
- Perfect Poison: "Tsukiko has made contact with a vile and deadly flower. It's poison instant death to whoever touches it. This flower is absolute doom and Tsukiko has only 6 seconds left to live." Oh wait, it's just a pretty flower. Smells nice.