Episode - 8F10
First Aired - 12/26/1991While Marge is at the doctor's to see whether or not she's pregnant, Homer tells the kids the story of his post-high school life with Marge, which includes Homer and Marge having sex on the golf course, Homer marrying Marge to make an honest woman out of her, and how Homer got his job at the nuclear plant.
This episode contains examples of:
- Art Evolution: The flashback to Dr. Hibbert announcing Marge's pregnancy in "The Way We Was" has been reanimated in this episode. Compare the original scene◊ to the redone version◊.
- Berserk Button: Marge's mother reacts badly to Homer calling her "Mom".
- Big "OMG!": Dr. Hibbert gives one when Homer reveals he's gotten a job at the Power Plant.
- Burger Fool: Homer works at a place called Gulp n Blow; it's just as bad as Krusty Burger.
- God-Is-Love Songs: Discussed in-universe, in regards to "You Light Up My Life"
- Homer: I bet the guy she was singing that about was real happy.Marge: Actually, she was singing about God.Homer: Oh. Well, he's always happy. No, wait, he's always mad...
- Hypocritical Humor: Homer tells his kids that he's happy that he has kids and that he can't wait for Marge to have another baby. When Marge comes back from the doctor with news that she isn't pregnant, Homer yells, "YES!" and high-fives her.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: The reason Homer leaves Marge to find a good job.
- Jerkass: Patty and Selma are really horrible in this episode. They do nothing but treat Homer like garbage while he's trying his best to be a good husband to Marge.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Selma, at least, reunites Marge with Homer, when she sees how upset Marge is. And she felt guilty for not telling Marge sooner.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: In-universe, Homer accidentally blabs about the Trope Namer example for the people waiting in line to see The Empire Strikes Back."Thanks a lot, Mr. Blow-The-Picture-For-Me!"
- My Greatest Failure: Watching everything he bought for Marge and their baby be repossessed was this for Homer and he left in the middle of the night so he could find work and send every dollar to Marge.
- Pet the Dog: Selma tells Marge where Homer is working when she and Patty find out.
- Pregnancy Scare: Marge thinks she might be pregnant. While she goes out to have a pregnancy test in the hospital, Homer tells Bart and Lisa about the time Bart was born. After this Flashback Episode comes to an end, Marge returns home to inform Homer that she is not pregnant after all, causing them both to do a high five.
- Shotgun Wedding: Though no one forces Homer to marry Marge, he still does it because he loves her and he doesn't want to get in trouble for knocking her up.
- Parodied; the chapel Homer and Marge go to get married is called "Shotgun Pete's"
- "The Logical Song" by Supertramp and "Nine To 5" by Dolly Parton can be heard.
- Dallas: Homer wears an "I Shot J.R."-shirt.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Homer delivers an epic one of these to the Bouvier family at the end in the delivery room before Marge goes into labour.Homer: [rushing into the delivery room] Marge! Where's the baby?!Patty: Right where you left it!Homer: Shut up!Patty:Hey listen, fat boy-!Homer: NO, YOU LISTEN! This is my wife, this is my kid and I'm paying for this delivery, so if you wanna stay, you'd better show me some respect!
- Visual Innuendo: When Homer and Marge are getting romantic in the mini-golf course's castle obstacle, we see a golfer successfully putt a ball into its "Free Game" hole.
- Wacky Cravings: Marge craves pancake mix whenever she's pregnant.