Recap: The Simpsons S25 E10 "Married to the Blob"
The Comic Book Guy falls in love again — this time, with a manga writer/fan named Kumiko Nakamura, but Homer's bad love advice and Kumiko's father may split them apart.
- Art Shift: Yet another Couch Gag from Bill Plympton, and Homer and Mr. Nakamura's drunken vision of a Hayao Miyazaki wonderland.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: When offered a wine made of rice and snakes, Homer expresses disgust at the idea of making wine from rice.
- Continuity Nod: When Milhouse reminds Comic Book Guy he was Fall Out Boy.
- Milo, a rival Comicbook store owner from Husbands and Knives, appears to taunt Comic Book Guy over his lack of a life.
- Kumiko mentions Homer's resemblance to Japanese detergent mascot Mr. Sparkle, as seen in season 8 episode "In Marge We Trust".
- The chalkboard gag is "Judas Priest is not 'Death Metal'". This is a reference to how, in the previous episode, Judas Priest was labelled as such.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Kumiko first appeared in The Simpsons: Tapped Out a few days prior to this episode airing.
- Gargle Blaster: The cobra rice wine Homer and Mr. Nakamura drink.
- Heel Realization: During the Mushroom Samba sequence, Mr, Nakamura realizes that "I am the monster!", which leads him to give his blessing to Kumiko and Comic Book Guy's marriage.
- Mushroom Samba: Homer and Mr. Nakamura have a hallucination from the cobra rice wine (and following meal at White Castle) that's an extended Hayao Miyazaki homage.
- Negative Continuity: Averted. Comic Book Guy is now married to Kumiko Nakamura.
- Shout-Out: Some of the kids lined up at Comic Book Guy's store are dressed as members of the X-Men, as well as Doctor Doom and Radioactive Man.
- Harlan Ellison and Stan Lee show up.
- Some of Kumiko's cosplay outfits reference Harry Potter and Sailor Moon.
- And she changes into these by means of the Stargate costume that Comic Book Guy is wearing!
- Some of the costumes in the audience include The Mad Hatter and Catwoman.
- Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, of all people, has her song "PONPONPON" featured during Kumiko and Comic Book Guy's montage.
- Comic Book Guy and Kumiko listen to "Cosmic Wars: The Crucifixion of Jim Jam Bonks".
- Kumiko mentions she's writing an autobiographical manga, and the volume she shows Comic Book Guy is in the style of Scott Pilgrim.
- Comic Book Guy's lament song features shots of vintage Spiderman and Superman comics, as well as a cardboard image of Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow.
- Homer and Mr. Nakamura's Miyazaki hallucination includes shoutouts to My Neighbor Totoro (with Otto as the Catbus), Porco Rosso (Chief Wiggum as Porco), Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Ralph as Ponyo), Kiki's Delivery Service (with Patty and Selma both as Kiki, and Snowball V as Jiji), Spirited Away (with Mr. Nakamura as No Face, Smithers as a frog worker, Gerald as the giant baby, the three bullies as Haku, Agnes Skinner as Yubaba), Howl's Moving Castle (with the Kwik-E-Mart as the actual castle and Moe as Turnip Head) Princess Mononoke (with Martin and the other nerds as the tree spirits, and Krusty as the priest)...