- All Just a Dream: The events from "B.I.: Bartificial Intelligence" are Homer's dream.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Spoofed by Dennis Rodman.
- Becoming the Costume: in "I've Grown a Costume on Your Face".
- Burn the Witch!: After a witch is disqualified from a costume contest for being a real witch instead of someone wearing a witch costume, someone says "Burn her..." but it turns out he means the witch's prize instead of the witch herself.
- Disproportionate Retribution: After being disqualified from a costume contest, a witch retaliates by cursing the townspeople into Becoming the Costume.
- Disqualification-Induced Victory: The costume contest's runner-up becomes the new winner once the witch is disqualified for not wearing an actual costume.
- For Halloween Im Going As Myself: The witch in "(I've Grown) A-Costume To Your Face"
- Human Shield: The robot that replaces Bart uses Homer as one to protect itself from Bart.
- Hunting the Most Dangerous Game: in "Survival of the Fattest".
- Shout-Out: One to Herbie Hancock's Rockit and Bewitched.
- Take That: Kang and Kodos deliver one to the Cubs.Kang: (using the Accele-Ray to speed up the World Series) Faster! Faster! Until the fabric of the universe itself may shatter!Kodos: Good. Only then could the Cubs win!
- Visual Pun: The robot that replaces Bart is "boot" started by being kicked by the technician who delivers him to the Simpsons.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Burns' Blue-Haired Lawyer, who is arguably the most loyal employee of his (even over Smithers), creates a binding contract for the game and once he signs it, is prompted executed by Burns.
Recap / The Simpsons S 17 E 4 Treehouse Of Horror XVI
This year's Halloween episodes include: Bart teaming up with a band of rejected robots after being replaced while in a coma in "B.I.: Bartifical Intelligence," Homer and several male ancillary characters being hunted down by Mr. Burns as part of a reality show in "Survival of the Fattest," and a witch curses costumed townspeople after losing a Halloween contest in "(I've Grown) A-Costume To Your Face."