Recap: The Simpsons S 18 E 4 Treehouse Of Horror XVII
This year's stories see Homer as an Extreme Omnivore thanks to a space marshmallow, Bart using Krusty's Golem to wreak havoc, and a trip back to the 1938 where Springfield suffers an Alien Invasion, but the residents don't believe it as they've already been fooled by Orson Welles' radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds.
- Anachronism Stew: The third story takes place in 1938 and portrays Abe as a World War I veteran. When someone asks why he insists on calling it "World War One", he answers "You'll see".
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Krusty's Golem on his deeds in the past:Golem: I feel so guilty! I've mangled and maimed 37 people and I told a telemarketer I was busy when I wasn't! I'm not a good man.
- Artistic License – History: There's quite a number of liberties taken in "The Day the Earth Looked Stupid" when it comes to the War of the Worlds broadcast:
- Most of the scenes involving the town of Springfield listening to the broadcast happened during the middle of the day, when the actual broadcast happened during the evening hours.
- One scene involves a group of school students listening to the broadcast in their classroom, which would have been impossible, as the broadcast happened on a Sunday.
- Homer and Marge, who were listening to the broadcast from the very beginning, actually believed that the fictional news reports of Martians landing in the East Coast was real. Those who were actually listening to the broadcast from the very beginning would have known that this was really an episode of The Mercury Theatre on the Air, with the real paranoia being the result of people who were listening to The Chase and Sanborn Hour tuning into this broadcast while the other program was having a musical segment.
- Blob Monster: Homer eats a small blob from space, and becomes a big blob monster himself.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The aliens' justification to invade Earth is the expressed belief that humans were creating weapons of mass disintegration.
- Golem: Krusty somehow got hold of the Golem of Prague itself.
- Groin Attack: The Golem gives Homer one as ordered by Bart.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Blob!Homer gets really, really, hungry.
- Literal-Minded: One of the aliens claims to have people's hearts and minds and shows a brain and a heart to prove it.