Recap: The Simpsons S 10 E 17 Maximum Homerdrive
When a steak-eating contest between Homer and a beloved trucker proves fatal for the latter, Homer (accompanied by Bart) decides to complete his final run for him. Meanwhile, Lisa and Marge buy a new doorbell, but can't get anyone to ring it.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Homer, as usual.
Trucker: (to Homer, threateningly) All right, pal, here's the deal. You stumbled on a secret that only truck drivers are supposed to know.
(Homer bursts into laughter. The trucker quickly glances behind him.)
Trucker: Hey! Pay attention and stop looking at that squirrel!
(Cut to the squirrel in question, which is just chattering, picking up an acorn, and looking around.)
- Big Eater: Red Barclay and Tony Randall. Homer is no match for Red and probably no match for Tony either.
- Boring Return Journey: Homer and Bart are last seen boarding a train destined to deliver napalm to Springfield.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Homer saw Red Barclay at the restaurant and then looked at the pictures of Red Barclay and Tony Randall and somehow mistook Red for Tony despite the two men looking completely different.
- Also, when the contest begins, Red immediately digs into his Sir Loin-A-Lot. Meanwhile, Homer is busy buttering a slice of bread. Marge yells at him for trying to fill up on bread.
- Cooking Duel: Homer challenges Red into a contest to see who could finish the Slaughter House's special Sir Loin-A-Lot steak first.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: Parodied as Homer and Bart watch a drive-in movie.
Woman: You mean, it ate Patrick?
Man: It ate everybody.
Woman: What about Erika?
Man, Homer and Bart: It ate everybody!
- Late To The Realization: When Homer is told by Red Barclay that only two people have ever finished the Sir Loin-A-Lot challenge, Red points to his and Tony Randall's pictures on the wall. Homer looks at both pictures for quite a few seconds, before deducing...
Homer: You're him! You're Tony Randall!
- Mega Meal Challenge: The Sir Loin-A-Lot steak. Only Red Barclay and Tony Randall have ever finished it.
- Nobody Calls Me Chicken: Homer has this reaction when Red calls him a greenhorn.
- Noodle Incident: Lenny biting Homer, which led Homer to contract tetanus.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: When Red Barclay died at the Slaughter House Restaurant, Dr. Julius Hibbert, who owns 12 percent of the place, declared Red's causa mortis as food poisoning... from another restaurant.
- Shouldn't We Be in School Right Now?: Lampshaded when Bart joins Homer for the truck drive.
Homer: Shouldn't you be in school right now?
Bart: Shouldn't you be at work right now?
Homer: Ah, touché.
- They Just Dont Get It: Homer is utterly unable to understand why he doesn't want to keep eating despite there still being steak left on his plate. He then devolves into Inelegant Blubbering when he realises for the first time in his life that he's full.
- Up to Eleven: Not only does the Slaughter House's menu consist entirely of meat products, but the menu itself is made of meat — a flattened chicken, specifically.
Marge: How clever, the kids' menu is on the beak.