Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 S 1 E 10 Panic In The Sewers
The Turtles must defend their home in the sewers when Bradford tries to destroy it with a dangerous chemical.
This episode provides examples of:
- Anxiety Dreams: Splinter's nightmare is of Shredder killing the turtles.
- Breather Episode: After the Wham Episode that was The Gauntlet.
- Call Back: The Purple Dragons are back from Never Say Xever, and they're still using the fortune cookie factory as their hideout.
- The Cameo: Xever makes a non-speaking appearance in one scene. Justified, since he's now a mutant fish and can no longer breathe without water.
- Spike also makes a brief appearance.
- Catapult Nightmare: Splinter has one at the beginning of the episode.
- Chekhov's Gun: Mikey's water balloons and Donnie's patrol buggy.
- Damsel in Distress: April is caught by Bradford, quickly Bound and Gagged, and the turtles have to come to her rescue. To her credit this is only the second time she's been kidnapped in the series and this occasion only occured because she succeed in finding out Shredder's Evil Plan beforehand, and pulled off (clumsy) Roof Hopping to do so.
- Divide and Conquer: Thanks to the Patrol Buggy's detachable sidecars, the Turtles can split to chase down two separate vehicles. While Donnie and Raph go to save April from Fong's van, Leo and Mikey go to stop Dogpound's tanker truck.
- Doomed Hometown: Invoked. Shredder knows the turtles are in the sewers, so he plans to destroy the sewers in order to kill them. Thus, the turtles have to defend their home from being doomed.
- The Door Slams You: Crosses into Toyota Tripwire as Bound and Gagged April can only kick a truck door open into a Purple Dragon's face.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Mikey: "What? We live in a sewer. Now you're clean freaks?"
- Embarrassing Old Photo: April's school ID◊. Yikes.
- Foreshadowing: Once again provided by Space Heroes.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: The abovementioned student ID is flashed very fast indeed to pass for a building inspection ID.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Captain Ryan slaps himself this time.
- Get Out: Dogpound says this to the driver of the tanker truck.
- Hammerspace: Mikey pulls those last two water balloons out of thin air. Lampshaded by Leo asking "Where do you keep them?"
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Raph just before he quotes the Space Heroes line to Leo.
- Insistent Terminology: Donnie corrects everyone who calls his patrol buggy a go-kart.
- Meaningful Echo: Raph quotes a line from Space Heroes to snap Leo out of his anxiety. Leo replies with another quote.Raph: Get it together, Captain! You're our leader! Start acting like it!Leo: You're right, Raph. That was the anxiety ray talking.
- Never Say "Die": Averted. Splinter does not sugarcoat the danger that the Shredder poses to the turtles.Splinter: Rest? The Shredder will not rest...until you are all dead!
- Never Trust a Trailer: Much like the previous episode, the commercials for this make it look as if the plot revolves around Mikey declaring a prank war and only shows scenes of him hitting his brothers with water balloons.
- Recurring Extra: The fishmonger from Never Say Xever and The Gauntlet makes another cameo.
- Water Guns and Balloons: No guns, just balloons for Mikey.
- What a Piece of Junk: The patrol buggy. Although Donnie insists that it's not ready yet, it still has some nifty features and allows the Turtles to catch up with the bad guys. Then again, it falls apart when the chase is over.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: April disguises herself as a pizza delivery boy simply by wearing a coat, a hoodie over her head and talking in a deeper voice. It's good enough to fool the Purple Dragons, but not the Foot.