Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 S 1 E 8 Never Say Xever
Leo regrets his act of mercy when Xever holds a local store owner hostage.
This episode provides examples of:
- All There in the Script: The three Purple Dragons are named Fong, Tsoi, and Sid.
- Badass in Distress: Bradford is a villainous example. The turtles kidnap him hoping Xever will swap him for Murakami.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Mikey gets distracted by a bowl of noodle soup in the middle of the fight with the Purple Dragons.
- Blind and the Beast: April takes the turtles to Murakami's restaurant specifically because he is blind and can't see that they aren't human. He later figures it out through his other senses, but is not afraid and is very grateful to them for saving his life.
- Blowing a Raspberry: Mikey does this to one of the Purple Dragons during the battle in the fortune cookie factory.
- Call Back: Mikey recognizing Bradford and Xever.Mikey: Aww, man, this is awkward. It's my ex-friend Chris Bradford! And...that other guy!
- Cliff Hanger: The ending has Shredder swearing to destroy the Turtles himself.
- Comically Missing the Point:April: It's Murakami. Someone took him and left this. (points at note pinned to the wall with a knife)Mikey: Sweet! Free knife!Donnie: The note, dummy.
- Declarative Finger: Donnie does this briefly when he tells Mikey that needles are used for making tattoos.
- Diner Brawl
- Distressed Dude: Chef Murakami.
- The Dog Bites Back: The Purple Dragon that Xever kept smacking around tosses Leo (who let him go before) his sword while Xever and Bradford are arguing.
- Don't Look Down: Parodied. Mikey says this to Murakami, then remembers he's blind and tells him not to listen down.
- Freudian Slip: Donnie slips up when talking to April at the end of the episode, saying that "sometimes things that don't seem like they should go together actually make a great couple! - I mean food."
- Gang Bangers: The Purple Dragons.
- Get Out: What Leo says to Fong after taking mercy on him and his gang.
- Heroic Bystander: April saves Mikey by throwing a pot's lid at the Purple Dragon sneaking up behind him. She also gets Mr. Murakami safely out of the store during the fight.
- Hostage Situation
- Jerkass Has a Point: Bradford said he's the reason Xever managed to defeat the turtles, and to be honest, he wasn't wrong. He took down Don and Mikey by himself, and double teamed Leo with Xever. Raph was the only turtle Xever defeated on his own. If you do the math, Bradford defeated two and a half turtles while Xever defeated one and a half.
- Mythology Gag: Subverted. Murakami seems to be named after Jimmy Murakami of Murakami Wolf, the animation studio responsible for the 1987 series. In reality, Ciro Nieli named him after a friend of his, possibly Teen Titans collaborator Glen Murakami.
- Offhand Backhand: Mikey does this in the fight with the Purple Dragons. Even while distracted by a bowl of noodles, he knocks a guy back and forth between him and Donnie without even looking or turning around.
- Supreme Chef: Chef Murakami. Even being blind doesn't prevent him from cooking up "Pizza Gyoza" for the turtles.
- Tattooed Crooks: The Purple Dragons.
- Terrible Trio: The Purple Dragons.
- The Triads and the Tongs: Although they are a New York street gang, the Purple Dragons appear to be Chinese.
- Unwilling Suspension: What Xever does to Murakami.