Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 3 E 21 Same As It Never Was
When Ultimate Drako scatters the Turtles and Master Splinter, Donatello ends up in a bad future where The Shredder rules the world and his brothers are no longer a team. Determined not to give up, Donny reunites his brothers for one final fight with the Shredder...
This episode provides examples of
- Alternate Universe
- A-Team Firing: A heroic example occurs in this episode: Donny sprays the Shredder's giant exosuit with the two Gatling guns on his own exosuit's shoulders, and not one of the bullets hits Ch'rell, who is completely exposed in this particular exosuit.
- Bad Future
- Badass Longcoat: Future Leo
- Bittersweet Ending: This episode ends with the future Utrom Shredder killed, but Donatello has to witness his brothers die first and in the end, April is the only main character still alive. Thankfully, Donís return to the present ensures that this future never happens.
- Bond Breaker: This episode reveals that Donatello is this to his brothers. Future Mikey even says:Future Mikey: When you never came back Donny...well, everything just...fell apart. We were a team. Without you, it just didn't work. Guess we really needed that level head of yours
- Continuity Cameo: This episode is full of references to the Archie and Image TMNT comics.
- The Dying Walk: When Karai cuts down Leo from behind and then defeats Raph, the wounded Raph drags himself over to Leo so he can die at his brother's side.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: One of the most notable of the whole series, which didn't just feature all of the Turtles of that dimension being brutally killed by Karai and the Karai-bots, it also featured the Shredder getting a drill thrown into his Utrom face and being utterly obliterated, all shown on-screen.
- Final Battle
- Future Badass: Leonardo, Raphael, April, and especially Mikey
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This episode is one of the most notable of the whole 2k3 series.
- Gone to the Future: Apparently occurs to Don in this episode
- Killed Mid-Sentence: MikeyFuture Mikey: Donnie! Donnie! I'm—
- Losing the Team Spirit/ We Were Your Team: Mikey tells Don that when he disappeared '30 years ago' their team just fell apart.
- Never Say "Die": A notable example of this trope being averted outright is in this episode, where upon saving the life of a time-traveling Donatello, Future Mikey says that the rest of the Turtles "thought [he was] dead". This goes hand in hand with the episode's Darker and Edgier feel than the rest of the series
- OOC Is Serious Business: Played backwards for Don, actually. We get the 'serious business' part within the first few minutes of the episode. Just before the episode's Bittersweet Ending, the OoC part comes in.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Don absolutely slaughters Ch'rell at the end, a far cry from his usually pacifistic actions. Understandable, of course given the circumstances.
- Party Scattering: The Turtles and Master Splinter are scattered throughout time and space by Ultimate Drako.
- Putting the Band Back Together: Donny reunites the Turtles for one final fight with the Shredder
- Shout-Out: The opening is a shout out to George Orwell's novel 1984
- Stealth Pun: The Shredder is destroyed by the Turtle Tunneler, that is to say, shredded.
- This Is Unforgivable!/ Big "NO!": After stating a Big "NO!" upon watching the Karai Legions kill Future Mike to his horror, Don gets pushed too far. His response? "You'll pay for this, Shredder! If it's the last thing I do, YOU WILL PAY!"
- Also occurs when Future Leo is cut down by Future Karai while his back was turned. An enraged future Raph clearly tries to kill her for it.
- It's a Wonderful Plot: Don discovers just how horrible the world can be when he's been gone for over 30 years