Previous: Supernatural S 07 E 12 Time After TimeRecap of Supernatural
Next: Supernatural S 07 E 14 Plucky Pennywhistles Magic Menagerie
Next: Supernatural S 07 E 14 Plucky Pennywhistles Magic Menagerie
Season 7, Episode 13
The Slice GirlsWritten by Eugenie Ross-Leming and Brad Buckner.Directed by Jerry Wanek.Air Date: February 3, 2012.Dean meets an intriguing woman at a bar in Seattle, Washington while investigating attacks where the victims were branded with a strange symbol after their hands and feet were cut off.
Body Count:For this episode = 2 humans and 2 Amazons.For the series so far = At least 774 humans (of which 6 were witches), 89 demons, 55 angels, 36 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 15 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 kitsunes, 2 vetalas, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, 1 Leviathan, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- An Arm and a Leg: The hands and feet are cut off.
- Audit Threat: Inverted; Professor Morrison expects some 'financial remuneration' when consulted on the 'serial killer' so Dean pretends they'll have a 'friendly' word with the IRS if they get some cooperation.
- Amazon Brigade: With actual Amazons, even.
- Big Brother Is Watching You: When the professor proves reluctant to help the 'FBI' after hours, Sam says he'll remove the wiretap they have on him.
- Blatant Lies: Dean pretends he's an investment banker to get into Lydia's pants. Dean pretends he wasn't going to let Emma go, when Sam was listening outside the door and heard him say otherwise.
- Book Ends: The brothers driving into town, Sam is happy. The brothers driving out of town, Sam is furious.
- But We Used a Condom: Dean insists that he did, but either he's lying or Lydia sabotaged them. "Accidents happen!"
- The detective references the Winchesters supposed crime spree in "Slash Fiction", assuming it's part of their hunter activities.
- To Amy Pond's death. Sam essentially calls Dean a hypocrite because he thinks Dean was about to let Emma go.
- Sam also notes that Dean's emotional stability has degenerated since Cas's death and Bobby's.
- Conceive and Kill: Subversion in that the mother isn't the one trying to kill Dean, but rather than Emma, the conceived daughter.
- Cut Phone Lines: Sam's phone gets smashed during his fight with the detective, so he can't warn Dean about Emma.
- Distracted By The Sex: Sam implies that Dean was too distracted to notice Emma's crib last night, but Dean protests that it's the first 'warning sign' he looks out for.
- Facial Dialogue: Dean and Lydia send obvious mating signals at each other in the bar.
- Fan Disservice: Dean and Lydia having sex while another victim is chopped up and murdered.
- Father, I Don't Want to Fight / I Just Want to Be Normal: Dean's daughter claims this is why she left the Amazons. Too bad it was just a trick to get him to let his guard down so she could kill him.
- Genius Breeding Act: The Amazons select mates who are handsome, healthy, and clever. When Sam asks how Dean fit the last of these categories, Dean bashfully admits to having pretended to be an investment banker.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Emma and the other Amazon children.
- The Hedonist: Rather than work the case with Sam, Dean finds the nearest singles bar for booze and sex.
- Hired to Hunt Yourself: One of the cops ends up being an Amazon.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: Inverted: The fathers are human, the mothers are Amazons.
- Hypocritical Humor: Dean finds himself treated like a Girl of the Week.
- I Am A Humanitarian: The young Amazons eat flesh from their victims in a ritual.
- Incredibly Obvious Tail: Dean following the Amazons to the warehouse.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: The Contrast Montage between Dean having sex and the next victim being murdered.
- Karma Houdini: With the exceptions of the cop and Emma, the Amazons manage to get away before the brothers get to their lair.
- Lecture as Exposition: The professor can't just tell the Winchesters what they want to know, he has to do it with slides.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Emma shows up at Dean's door to tell him she's his daughter. And kill him.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Did Bobby's ghost expose the crucial document, or is it just luck and wishful thinking?
- Mission Control Is Off Its Meds: Without Bobby the Winchesters have to consult a local academic who doesn't even know about the supernatural and is more interested in what he can get from the federal government in exchange.
- Meaningful Echo: Sam reminds Dean of his own words to justify Amy Pond's death. "You killed the monster!"
- Mook Horror Show: The Winchesters are described as "vigilante thugs" by an Amazon.
- My Secret Pregnancy: Dean's one-night stand never intended for him to find out about her supernatural pregnancy. Had Dean not forgotten Bobby's flask at her place, he would have been none the wiser until the supernaturally-aged Emma showed up to try to kill him.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight: Fortunately the Amazons are not Immune to Bullets.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Averted; Dean is taken aback by Lydia's aggressive behaviour in bed, but clearly enjoys himself too.
- Not Staying for Breakfast: Dean finds himself on the receiving end, much to Sam's amusement.
- Only You Can Repopulate My Race: Amazons can only continue their line by mating with men. Unfortunately, Amazons still loathe men and therefore have the new Amazons ritually murder their human fathers as a Coming of Age ritual.
- Patricide: All Amazon girls are expected to murder their father in order to properly enter adulthood.
- Pink Is Feminine: Pre-teen Emma has a pretty pink bow in her hair, then turns up as a teen with a pink roller bag.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Amazon girls grow to adulthood in a few days.
- Reveal Shot: Lydia curtly blows off Dean when he calls her the next day. Then we see she's pregnant.
- Rite of Passage: New Amazons kill their fathers to become adults.
- Shout-Out: To the Spice Girls, Wonder Woman, and Hannah Montana.
- Standard Female Grab Area: Gender inverted when the detective grabs Sam this way.
- Super Strength / Punched Across the Room
- That Thing Is Not My Child!: Averted; Sam says Emma was never really his daughter, but Dean has a note of pride in his voice when he responds, "But she was mine."
- Time-Shifted Actor: Emma is played by multiple actresses as she continues to rapidly age.
- Tragic Keepsake: Dean keeps Bobby's flask after his death.
- Try Not to Die: But is Dean really trying?
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: When Dean threatens to shoot his daughter she replies, "You could have done that 30 seconds ago."
- Wrong Name Outburst: Lydia greeting Dan...Dean the next day.