A specific kind of montage
or montage element: the subject of the montage is contrasted with a different character or situation, to maximize the drama.
Can be applied to another montage; in particular, a Good
and Sad Times Montage
, an A-Team Montage
, and a Training Montage
. The Medley Exit
(aka Montage Out
) is partly built on this.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Death Note
- Episode 30 of has a montage towards the beginning that highlights Kira's adverse effects on ordinary people — then we cut the sound early to Demegawa's "I am here to tell you that Kira is justice!" Even moreso when we see Sachiko collapse into tears after receiving Soichiro's ashes.
- There's also one very early, when Light starts scheduling people to die at a specific time. He gets happily on with his day while people die out of sight.
- Breath of Fire IV have the contrasting experiences of both Ryu and his counterpart, Fou-lu.
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- Rocky III: The opening montage explicitly contrasts Rocky's rich lifestyle with Clubber Lang's rough and tumble rise to the top.
- Rocky IV: The Training Montage was all about this: Rocky's rustic Training from Hell is contrasted with Ivan Drago's super-scientific and soulless training regimen. This helps define the difference between the two fighters: Rocky has heart, while Drago is empty.
- Repo! The Genetic Opera has a great one during the song At The Opera Tonight. It cuts between the Repo Man suiting up and Blind Mag lamenting her future, while they sing similar lines in tandem.
- From Hell has a montage contrasting the life of Dr. William Gull (the Queen's surgeon) and Mary Jane Kelly (a prostitute), showing how unfair Victorian life is.
- A Corner In Wheat offers a very early example. This 1909 film intercuts between poor people in a bread line and the lavish parties of the speculator who caused their misery.
- The Karate Kid has a battle montage contrasting Daniel's style — tentative, but growing in confidence — with the Cobra Kai's ruthless and calculated style.
- Downfall. Eva Braun typing out her irrelevant and frivilous last will against a background of mass destruction and Child Soldiers Driven to Suicide.
- In Forbidden City Cop, the Cop's peaceful picnic with his wife is contrasted with the brutal deaths of the other Cops. Especially jarring since the cops' demises are immediately followed by events at the picnic that mirror their deaths as a creepy form of Relax-o-Vision.
- Titanic cuts between scenes of the fun and raucous party in steerage and the boring rich folks sitting around gossiping over brandy and cigars.
- Kill Your Darlings has an very uncomfortable sequence, cutting back and forth between shots of murder, anonymous sex, drug abuse, and learning of the death of a friend, showing how the different characters react to and create various tragedies.
- In The Godfather, a christening is contrasted with a series of hits on rival mob bosses.
- Sergei Eisenstein was a master at this.
- Strike contrasts the simple meal of the workers' families dining together happily, with the rich fancy meal of their angry, evil boss who dines alone.
- October, about the Red October revolution of 1917, takes a dim view of religion in accordance with Communist doctrine. The "masks of the gods" sequence contrasts Russian Orthodox icons with Buddhist statues and pagan carvings, suggesting that all religions are the same.
Live Action TV
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In a fourth-season episode we cut back and forth between Buffy's team and the Initiative, both planning to capture the same monster. Buffy's Ragtag Bunch of Misfits brainstorms together, checks the books, and works things out, while the Initiative gives orders from superior to inferior, checks the (inaccurate) data files, and sticks to rigid orders.
- A humorous version exists in the Mythbusters Demolition Derby Special, where Jamie and Adam are preparing a bus for a series of possibly dangerous stunt driving maneuvers. The show cuts back and forth between Jamie very calmly, meticulously putting together parts of a rollcage while Adam is frantically cutting pipe and tearing things up to make room for the cage.
- Supernatural 5x03 has one, juxtaposing the temporarily separated Dean and Sam, with Dean doing his usual business of icing monsters intercut with Sam's attempts to hold down a normal job and life.
- Used in episode 1 of the sci-fi series to create a juxtaposition between a tense scene during which Kelly fights for her life against her Ax-Crazy zombie probation worker, and an entirely ridiculous scene in which Alisha performs oral sex on a bottle for her gawping male companions.
- Also used in episode 5: the opening scene features a montage of the gang's reactions to Sally's interview about their community service programme, which highlights their different personalities - Simon is shy and terrified, Alisha ignores Sally altogether and starts texting, Kelly complains loudly, Curtis looks bored and aggravated, and Nathan says something sarcastic then breaks randomly into song.
- Used again in the first episode of the second series, when the team are shown going about their business before another day at community service begins: Alisha and Curtis gently tease one another; Kelly mourns Nathan's death; Simon returns to his upstairs hideaway to mourn Sally's death- for good measure, he's got her body stored in a freezer in this same hideout. And all throughout this montage, a figure in a black jumpsuit, mask and hood is seen dashing across rooftops towards the community centre...
- Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog: The song "So They Say" juxtaposes Captain Hammer and Dr. Horrible as they gear up for the events of Act 3.
- Likewise "On the Rise" contrasts Penny's optimism with Dr. Horrible's pessimism about the world.
- The Simpsons in "The President Wore Pearls" had Lisa preform a musical montage of her becoming popular and manipulated with Principal Skinner singing about his evil scheme to cut Music, Art and Gym.
- Total Drama Island has one juxtaposing the Screaming Gophers' well co-ordinated teamwork as they build their team's hot tub with the Killer Bass' conflicts and problems as they try to build theirs.