Referring to the trope of the female becoming pregnant and then killing her mate, often in the act of copulation. A sub-trope that is part of various tropes, including the black widow
, out with a bang
and possibly someone to remember him by
May be, sometimes, in part or in whole, a metaphor for the fear that Men Are the Expendable Gender
, because in many countries they are at a legal and social disadvantage against the mother in matters concerning their children.
For obvious reasons (outside of a Mr. Seahorse
situation) this trope is Always Female
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- This was Diva's Moral Event Horizon in Blood+, involving raping Saya's younger brother Riku for the purpose of bearing his kid and then murdering him.
- Happens in Jerome Robbins' ballet The Cage
- Occurs in the play Lysistrata amongst the Amazons.
- Occurs with the Re'em, a mythological biblical creature claimed to be associated with the Bible. According to the myth, there are only two Re'em in the world at one time. They meet every 70 years for mating. After conception, the female Re'em kills her partner with a single bite.
- Sort of appears in Hans Staden's "Wahre Geschichte" (Book II: 29, 1974, p. 179). The man to be sacrificed is given a native woman until the sacrifice comes and the above reference says that if the native woman has a child by him, the child is raised until the age of sacrifice is reached, though the native partner isn't the sole perpetrator; rather, she is one of a crowd. This story is loosely revisited in the 1971 Brazilian film "How tasty was my little Frenchman", portraying the tupinambás tribe.
- Occurs with Jim Book in American Vampires. He becomes infected with a disease that will turn him into a vampire, so he persuades Abilena to shoot him. She agrees on the condition he impregnates her first.
- Sort of appears with The Darkness, a magic power that is passed from father to son (the son gaining the power when he reaches), but the father dies upon conception: - could be argued to be part of this trope if she copulates with him fully cognizant of this.
- Occurs with the H'nemthe, characters from Star Wars, who believe that a male killed after mating in this way would receive the ultimate spiritual reward by going on to the netherworld as spiritual guardian for his offspring, meaning that they didn't resist the certain death that would result from copulation. Felitipern Trevagg is an example of a male character who was part of this ritual.
- Zim does this to Dib in the fanfiction Dib Reborn. as you would have guessed from the title, Dib was reincarnated as Zim's son as a result.
- The Spinnetods from the T.V. series Grimm do this on account of their rapid aging, meaning that they have to become pregnant quickly so that the lineage doesn't die out.
- On Forever Knight, it was said that for a vampire woman to conceive, she must have sex with a human male - and said male must die during the sex act.
- The Taresians of Star Trek: Voyager are a One-Gender Race of females that mate with other humanoid species by implanting viruses in them that turn them into male Taresians, believing that there are long-lost children driver with the desire to return home. The mating process (a male is given three females as his wives) is deadly to the male, as they end up dying after mating with her wives.